Hormone Help (Female Facial Hair)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

This may be long so sorry in advance.

I am a 21-year-old female and have had hormonal imbalance issues since I started puberty. I had my first period young (at the age of 9), and I believe my young start at puberty was caused by how I have always been overweight. At the moment I weigh about 200 lbs and I am 5'6''. And I have had a mustache growing since age 9 as well. At first, I did not do anything about it so it was pretty noticeable especially since I have a fair complexion. When I was 13 my mom took me to have laser hair removal on my upper lip, chin, and neck. At this point, I was plucking my chin hairs but did nothing about my neck hairs which sometimes grew up to 1in long. After about a year of laser hair removal, there was little to no change in my facial hair. So the doctor who did the laser tested my blood and told me that my female hormones were normal, but my male hormones were elevated. She then prescribed me Spironolactone and birth control. I took both of these medications for the last 7 years, but there has been no change in my hair growth (I have stopped taking the medication for about 2 months now). During a school break, I left my facial hair untouched for a week and discovered that it grew about 4-5mm in that week. The hair is thick and dark, but not as dense as male facial hair. The hair growth is not only isolated to my face, but is all over my body. The main places are my groin and underarms, and I have a few hairs around my nipples that can grow up to an inch long (sorry if that's gross). Basically, I would describe my hair growth as almost male, but not quite. When I was 18 I even had a pilonidal cyst that was very painful and had to be surgically removed. I guess I am just trying to figure out what to do from here because I want to do something about it, but I am not sure what. I have thought of going to a gynecologist thinking it may be PCOS because of the hair and how I gain weight easily, but I have normal menstrual cycles. Or should I go to an Endocrinologist? I have dealt with this issue for most of my life now and don't remember a time when I didn't need to shave my face everyday or spend 2hr shaving before going swimming. This has had a really negative impact on my mental health and the activities I participate in. Like even though I enjoy camping, I won't go because if I don't shave for a day I'll have a visible beard. This is a sensitive topic, so please be kind. Thank you in advance for any and all advice. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I am so sorry hun I know how sensitive this is. I too struggle with almost exactly everything you do. I avoid certain activities and people! It really can make you feel low. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel it's just not always easy, sadly. I too had my period early. I was diagnosed with my first cyst at 16. I take a combination on spirinolactone and metformin ER(get ER cuz sometimes the non ER can make you have loose bowel movements). No it doesn't get rid of the hair but it does make it less aggressive and/or not as thick. Also, I take birth control which helps too. PCOS does have elevated "male" hormones. Your obgyn should be able to know asap if you have PCOS. They need to do a comprehensive hormone panel. If they can't then tell them to refer you to an endrochronologist. They can tell by your hormones and a simple ultrasound to see if it is true. A lot of time it is a result of some inbalance in your endocrine system or from an underlying condtion, like PCOS. For me I havent gotten rid of the hair but over time my doc slowly increased my spirinolactone and metformin over time. The biggest change happened when I lost some weight. I saw a nuitricianist and was on an exercise plan. It was terrible and I hated it LOL. But it's the PCOS that is a jerk cuz it also makes it harder to loose weight! Grrr. And even if after all this it isn't PCOS you know there are so many women out there with this cuz many conditions can cause it. There are great support groups too for women who struggle if you are interested. Anyway I wouldn't loose hope. And remember your beauty is within not the hairs on your chin my dear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.