hormone injection treatment for endometriosis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I recently had a laproscopy to remove an ovarian cyst which was caused by endometriosis. When inside they discovered more endometriosis which was taken away then and there.

I have never had problems with my periods - not too much pain and regular ever since I started. But I've been admitted to a & e twice with severe abdominal pelvic pain which is how the cyst eventually got diagnosed.

Now I have been told to have the hormone injections which temporarily induce the menopause with all the side effects that entails for three months followed by continuous use of the pill. Has anyone had this treatment? Would you recommend it? I really don't want the side effects of the menopause as I'm already on medication for depression. Also I am 40 and I haven't had children although I'd like to so I want to preserve my fertility. I know time is running out and the doctor said my age is more of a factor than the endometriosis. Is the hormone treatment just to relieve pain? Because I think I was only in pain from the cyst so as that's gone should I wait to see the operation has worked in that respect before the hormone treatment? Or will the injections prevent the possibility of the endometriosis coming back?

I don't want to start this quite invasive treatment without all the options as it's kind of been presented to me as a fact and I'd like to know what my options are.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi dearies.

Hope you all are doing well.

Id like to know what did you do then?

I had laprotomy last month. Apparently one of my cyst got burst so the dr is not sure if he endo has completely been removed or not.

Taken 2 injections on the stomach.

Am not allowed to conceive for atleast 6 months.

Ive veen trying to conceive for 3 years already.

Really really confused on what to do.

Hate the side effects but only worried if id be able to conceive soon or not.

Thanks.

• Posted

I hope all of you in this string will keep in mind the following:

- endometriosis can go along slowly and then move at warp speed. We can go from mild or moderate to severe in 5 weeks' time.

- yes a woman with healthy ovaries, tubes, uterus and cervix might get pregnant at 45 - 50, and yes there are women with endo who are fertile. When organs are fused together by endometriosis, chances of completely healthy repro organs are not good

- not everyone suffers side effects from drugs

- yes it sucks big time for docs to expect us to be coherent the instant our eyes first open. Get your doc to agree ahead of time either to write it down or call you the next day. I do not suggest having doc tell results to someone else because I've had that beloved someone else filter and alter doc's message to fit that person's desires for my life.

Good luck & good health to all of you.

• Posted

Hi there, I am 47 and have too also been diagnosed with endometrosis . Very similar story had an ultra sound and found endometrotic cyst had a laporoscapy and they found endometriosis . They suggested hormon injections which I was told I would have hot flushes and menopause symptoms.  Have now had one of three injections with no side effects at all but two weeks after injection came on bang on my cycle, so I am now questioning if it has even worked.  Need to wait until next inception in two weeks to discuss

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.