Hormones are out of controll

Posted , 4 users are following.

I feel like I am starting menopause all over again.  I stated when I was 43 and haven't had a period in 5 years, but all of the sudden the last few months I feel like crying, fighting with my body gaining weight in places that I have never had a problem with, just out of control with life in general. 

Is this normal?  When I first started going through menopause I was married and had a few mood swings, but not like this.

Just want to be left alone and by myself.  Not married now, but I have children and grandchildren, but I just feel like I want to escape life for a while before I have a major melt down.

What is wrong with me?????

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Connie, nothing is wrong with you. It's the awful hormones or so I am told. I am feeling the same way and NO ONE understands. I feel so alone in this horror. I'm up, down and inside out and am usually a stable person. I don't want to take meds however my moods are so erratic I feel the need to maybe try just to feel normal. Please know you have support from a lot of us ladies on this site and keep sharing. We need each other to get past this nightmare!! 😗😗

• Posted

True what Connie is experiencing is normal for perimenopause, but she hasn't had a period for 5 years, that means she is post menopause by 4 years. New symptoms shouldn't be starting up at this stage. It is worth going to the doctor just to check that something else isn't amiss such as a vitamin deficiency.

• Posted

Of course. Going to the Doctor is a must. I was speaking on the support side of this issue. Not giving medical advise.
    • Posted

Apparently this is NOT a support site after all. Thank you Suki for making that clear. I will not be returning due to the negative comments from you.
    • Posted

Oh, dear. Well, that's entirely up to you. I thought it was both a support site and an advice site where we provide support for those who are going through the same as us and advice based on our personal or professional experience. I have noticed that on this menopause forum there are few pharmacists who give pharmaceutical advice. We all bring something useful to the table. That is the point of a forum. I myself am a university post-doctoral research fellow and while the advice I give is probably more on the practical side I hope that I bring my research perspective to the table. In my comment above I was merely thinking of Connie, the original poster - your advice to her was lovely and supportive - but I would not want her to go away thinking that what she experiencing was normal and she didn't need to seek medical advice.

This website is called "patient" after all and provides support and treatment advice for every condition from anal fissures to varrucas. I myself have found it very useful recently for treatment advice on ganglions. If you are seeking an alternative supportive website for menopause I suggest you try menopausematters.

• Posted

Apologies all, if I come across as rather pragmatic at times - that's just me! I do hope that some benefit from my experiences and research 😊

• Posted

It's ok.  I still like this forum.  At lease I have someone to talk to, going crazy here with all these sudden mood swings.  I do appreciate all the help.

• Posted

Thank you Connie. It is a useful website for all sorts of support and advice.
    • Posted

I was just worried about Tracey saying "nothing is wrong with you" without you having checked with the doctor first, which I'm sure you would do anyway. It probably is just silly old menopausal hormone issues, but my doctor always takes the cautious approach and sends me for tests / scans just in case, and it is actually quite reassuring that they do that and don't just assume it is menopause.

• Posted

My doctor ran a bunch of test last year around this time, and she came back and said "guess what.....Your post menopausal" as if I didn't already know that, but the rest of my test all came back normal.  Nothing out of the norm for my age.

• Posted

Well, it's good to hear that everything is normal for your age and there is nothing untoward going on. As for the menopause symptoms - have you tried or considered HRT? Or BHRT? My friends who have gone on patches said it made them feel like themselves again and saved their marriages. Currently my worst symptoms are vaginal atrophy, urine urgency and hot flushes. Ovestin (estriol vaginal cream) has solved the vaginal and urinary problems. I could cope with the hot flushes (which seem to have stopped for the moment anyway). I feel a little less energetic than I used to but if I got any anxiety or depression or other emotional symptoms I would definitely try out patches. I am aware of the risks (just as I was aware of the risks of the contraceptive pill which I took from age 18 to 35). I totally understand why some women would decide not to use HRT because of the risks or it doesn't agree with them or they are unable to due to having had cancer. But I'd give it a try because I'd prefer not to suffer or make my husband and young children (I had kids late in life) suffer. Perhaps that's just me being pragmatic again but, hey, we live in the 21st century with all the wonderful medical advancements and options available to us, why suffer like we are living in mediaeval times?

• Posted

Connie I understand the feelings of wanting to escape life. I sometimes feel I just want to be left alone to get on with what I want to do, rather than fitting in with the expectations of family, grandchildren etc. I have learnt to say no if I don't want to join in. In the past I've even feigned illness to be excused from gatherings. 

I have considered going on a retreat, yoga or something, but I probably wouldn't want to come back!

I think we still have a few hormones left after meno, not enough to create a period, and as these diminish further as we age we gain weight and have mood issues, crying etc. It's like going back to puberty!

Probably worth mentioning to your doctor, maybe you could try a low dose hrt. In the UK you'll probably be offered anti depressant. 

Make time for yourself, do things you enjoy, and let the family fit in when it's your choice. 

Take care x

• Posted

Thank You.  Makes me feel a little better knowing I am not alone in this.  Some days are worse then others.  Have no patience at all and then other days I'm ok.  I'm going to take a weekend off and visit friends in a couple of weeks I hope getting away for a few will help. 

Really appreciate everyone on this site helping me.

• Posted

I agree with Maisie. I assume your children are all grown up with kids of their own. Now is the time to spend time on yourself. Look after yourself, treat yourself.

I don't have a choice - I am 51 and my children are 12 and 14, they still need me. I need to be healthy so I can help them with their teen and tween problems. I don't have the luxury of being able to retreat, be alone or just chill when I feel like it. My elderly mother is also heavily dependent on my brother and I. I have double dependency, so I will do whatever it takes to stay healthy and reliable.

• Posted

I'm 52 guess I was a little young going through menopause.  Yes, my kids are grown, 26, 25,and 21 so, I can escape when I need to, but I don't do if often, because I feel I am letting my family and grandkids down. 

I think we all need down time and I try to be here for my daughter (she has my grandkids) and help her anytime I can.

Thank you again for the words of encouragement.  It does help knowing I am not alone in this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.