Hormones not working to stop this bleeding!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Please can someone help me! I want the bleeding to go away.

I have PCOS and was diagnosed 5 or 6 years ago. The past year or so I have had a lot more problems linked with it. 

I was diagnosed as Insulin resistant and have been given Metformin to help treat that. I was also having problems with bleeding for weeks at a time. The record is currently 6 weeks. 

First the doctor tried the daily pill but that didn't seem to have any effect at all.Then the doctor has put me on the depo injection to hopefully stop the bleeding as it work the same as the implant that had stopped my periods completely when I had it in my late teens. I am currently 25. 

It didn't work as I was still getting spotting and then proper bleeds.

So then doctor put me on a daily pill on top of the injection. It is still not working! I am almost always spotting and them having a couple days of proper bleeding.

I am sick and tired of bleeding all the time. I'm sick of having to wear pads all the time. I'm sick of that awful bloated feeling all the time. Iam sick of the bloosy cramps!

I want a hysterectomy it's getting to me that much but I'm sure they won't agree to that because I'm too young. 

Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone give me any advice? I'm struggling so much and it is really getting me down sad 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Caterina,

I am so sorry you're feeling deflated. I was diagnosed with PCOS over 7 years ago, I'm 30 now.

A year ago I was having issues where I bled for a month and was having huge clots. I had an issue that I was bleeding before where is was just spotting blood for over a month. First my doctor did a pregnancy test, as well as checking my CBC, especially since you're losing blood. The last time I was bleeding like this, I actually bought a Divacup to measure how many times I was emptying and how much since it holds up to 30 mL. I was emptying it about every 30 minutes and it was overflowing. It can be scary! So I can totally empathize. Pads can be so uncomfortable and rub you raw. If you're not comfortable with a menstrual cup, I highly recommend the foam flex pads from Always, they are much softer and less irritating.

I also recommend telling your doctor you need to figure out why you're bleeding. Depo is one of the worst things to go on. It makes cycles worse. Did your doctor get you in for an ultrasound? Maybe see if you're bleeding from fibroids?

That was another thing that I did when I bled, got an ultrasound to see if I had any cysts (which I don't have that part of PCOS, I'm just hormonally imbalanced), and also to see if i had fibroids which were causing the bleeding.

I then went on Provera to stop the bleeding, which it lessened after a day and completely stopped within a few.

Hang in there! If your doctor is not willing to figure out why you're bleeding, then you need to find a doctor that will help you!! Be your advocate.

You're welcome to message me anytime if you'd like!

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply. It is nice to know I am not the only one being driven mad by this! Luckily for me since being on the depo the bledding has at least not been as heavy. I am still clotting though and the cramps are still painful.

I went to the doctor today and she is refering me to a gynecologist as there is nothing more she can do for me from her side. She said she was concerned I may end up with enemia if I carrying bleeding constantly. She has been brilliant throughout this I must say. They would have tried the combine pill to stop the bleeding aswell but as I suffer from migraines I can't take it. 

I actually do have small cysts on my ovaries. They found them when I was first sent for an ultrasound because of bad cramping and heavy bleeding problems. They then did blood test and thus came my diiagnosis. They were extremely unhelpful to start with. Original I was just told I had PCOS and that's it. No more information about problems it could cause or how it affected me. They had found a large build up of fluid and a large cyst the first time and because they had gone the second time they just didn't seem bothered.  

My Mum actually suffered with the fibroids you mentioned. She ended up having a hysterectomy last year because treatment wasn't working. I am pretty sure PCOS runs in my family but we all have different symptoms and problems to deal with. 

All I know is I'm going to start rattling when I walk if they carry on giving me so many different tablets to take every day! 

• Posted

I bleed 24/7 for 5 years until my OBGYN said time for to have it all out ... depo shot, etc did nothing to stop the bleeding it just slowed it down somewhat. DnCs said no lining build up so no reason known for the bleeding since I had 0 uturin lining to build up to let go of yet i still bleed. 

I'm a decade post hyster and frankfly I'm glad I had it, didn't stop the PCOS but it at least stopped the dreadful bleeding that no one could stop. 

• Posted

That is the same problem I am having. No treatment is stoping the bleeding but it is at least slowing it down a bit. I have been reffered to a gynecologyst now because my doc said there is nothing more she can do from her end. 

I will have do go through the process of very invasive tests and all that jazz before I know anymore. I personally want the hysterectomy but unless deemed absolutely necassary because I'm only 25.

Obviously all this comes with fertility probllems anyway and if I do decide I want children in the future  don't think I could cope with all the stress of treatment and risks of miscarraige. I am a lebian and me and my partner both decided if we do want a family in the future then we would rather adopt. 

I don't need my womb and it just causes me problems. I know it's a big surgery but I think it would be worth it in the long run.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.