Horrible abdominal pain on left side

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been having this horrible abdominal pain on the left side extending from my ribs to my belly button. Sometimes the pain is a sharp pain and other times its a dull/gnawing pain. It flares up worse every time I try to eat. The pain extends to my back and makes me very nauseous, but without vomiting. Also, I am constapated. That could be due to the medication I was perscribed. I am taking Zofran and dicyclomine. They aren't really doing anything though.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hailey,

Do you have any other symptoms at all?

What diagnostic tests have you had done?

Gem

• Posted

I had blood tests done in the ER two days ago. I had to go because the pain got so bad. I'm going to a GP on friday t see if they can figure it out.
  • Posted

Hi Hailey,

I have the same but on my right side. Ribs, right in my side, stretching to the back, sometimes even between my shoulder blades. Mines been going on since the end of April. I wasn't constipated to start with but that started a couple of months ago.

Docs have basically put it under good old IBS since my bloods all came back fine, and have offered Omeprazole if I feel I need it. I suppose it's reassuring that the pain moves about (indicating it probably is in the colon as opposed to located in an organ or anything) but annoying to live with. I tried to take up running again but it was painful as it felt like something was rubbing against my ribs inside. I have also found i'm really windy, and when they all start coming out it relieves a bit of pressure in my right side. Have you noticed that at all?

• Posted

Hi, I've been going through the same thing as you and Bee. My pain is on the right side. Started under my right rib, extended down to along side of my naval. The only way I can describe it, it feels as if I have a blister in my abdomen and something is rubbing against it, pretty much what Bee is feeling. Went to the gyno, after examining me, she said all was ok. Went to the gastro doctor in September, had the endoscopy,cat scans with and without contrast, colonscopy, there was nothing there to explain what I am feeling. Of course I am grateful but, what is making me feel like this? I've been nauseous everyday since July. I just don't know what to do! I hope you ladies start to feel better!! 

• Posted

I get the same pain also on left side on and off for 4 years all the test nothing has been found IBS of course is what ive been told good luck
    • Posted

I also have a dull pain and tense left of belly button, only diagnosis is HHS.
  • Posted

I have had this for about 15 months, left side under ribs is where the most pain is then fill full of wind, pain in back its always sore there. Finally had endoscopy on Monday and have been told I have mild antral gastritis. Has just said taki ppi's for 4 weeks, well I've already done that and I hate taking things unless I have to. The last few weeks before I went to hospotal I have been having lemon and root ginger infused in boiling water every morning and the pain has subsided as very often its the lack of the right acids that can cause it I was told. Must never have any fried or very fatty foods either. Still waiting for CT results but at the moment am going to try and keep diet on track and see what happens.
  • Posted

Hi Hailey

Your 2nd med can casue constipation, not sure about Zofran.....I get windy pain when constipated and at other times so need to prevent this if possible.  Your symptom sounds like trpped wind too.     I try to eat medium amount of fibre  and also have to use Movicol in low doses.    Not eating will cause pain too so keep trying small amounts.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.