Horrible brace

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I hope someone can help.

I was diagnosed with an acute and rare form of MD and they have put me in something that can only be described as a torture device.

It is a body brave that covers everything apart from my face. I hate wearing it and I have to wear it for life. Has anyone ever had to deal with something like this? It's made of plastic, foam and metal and I can hardly move in it

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Can you tell us the name of the particular type of muscular dystrophy?  
    • Posted

I am sure that Duchenne is actually one of the most common types of muscular dystrophy (although still a rare disease). It is normally diagnosed at a young age (typically about 5 years of age). I myself have McArdle Disease (confusingly also sometimes referred to as "MD"), most commonly not diagnosed until adulthood. I have known people with McArdle's to be wrongly put in braces, so I was keen to make sure that was not the case with you.  I wish you the best of luck.
    • Posted

Thank you Andrew.... I was hoping you could tell me something else I could do. This brace is awful... It's like being in a plastic prison
    • Posted

Sorry Chris I have no experience of Duchenne. But I do know that being diagnosed with Duchenne as an adult is very unusual, so you may want to make 100% certain that it is correct.

My experience is that doctors tend to over-react. (With McArdle's they used to tell people to stop all activity and this was disasterous. Some doctors still do that today. Whereas the best doctors, and myself as a patient advocate, are getting people out of wheelchairs and braces through gradually increasing aerobic exercise. )

I suggest that you make sure your doctor is properly knowledgeable about Duchenne and is fully up to date with current best practice.

• Posted

Thank you, I will ask them if they can looker it again. But they don't really listen to me anymore. When they locked the brace on I complained but no success!!! It takes ages to do anything And I cannot even go to the toilet !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.