Horrible chest pain.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've been having horrible chest pain lately and want to know if this is common with anxiety. I can say I get the chest pain 24/7 with breaks here and there and it's been this way for about a month. It is somewhat better when I lay down but it can happen then too and worse when I'm sitting down. I never usually feel when i'm walking, climbing stairs etc. The pain is different everyday it feels. One day in the left side, the next in the right. Sometimes a stab sometimes like I got hit in the stomach. I've done an ECK/EKG whichh was normal. Echo which was normal. Chest x-ray which was normal. Blood tests normal. Holter moniter 24hrs was normal. 

I'm female, 

22 years old

don't smoke

no diabetes

no history of heart disease

normal cholesterol and blood pressure and heart rate 

105 lbs, 5'2

​i am inactive and don't exercise however

I have an appintment in 2 weeks for a Coronary CTA. 

2 weeks seems like forever, what do you guys think. Does this sound heart relatedd? 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have chest pain and left arm pain all the time. Ive been to the er 15 times in last year, have had numerous ekgs, normal stress echo 2 yrs ago and normal echo in Nov, even had cardiac ct with a 0 calcium score. Seen Cardiologist and wore 30 day event monitor and insists its not my heart and just anxiety. You would think Id be reassured, but I still feel like they are missing something. My PCP has asked me to see a Psychiatrist (which I did) and she has put me on meds and suggested I start counseling. Im only 37, a little overweight, used to have normal blood pressure and pulse rate, but since the anxiety has been high. I do not smoke and my cholesterol is good. Hopefully everything will be all right. Good luck and let us know how cta goes.
    • Posted

Hi Amanda ty for your reply. It is always reassuring to hear others who suffer the same thing, although I would never wish this to anyone. Cheers.
  • Posted

Yes, chest pain in anxiety is very normal. I can tell you that if you are experiencing right sided chest pain, that is not cardiac in nature. You have had an awful lot of investigations and they've all shown normal results. Hopefully your next one will be too. My gut instincts say it will be.

have you discussed anxiety with your doctor at all yet? Have you been offered any medication to control your anxiety?

There are deep breathing techniques and visualisation that can help you to relax as well. I can talk you through them if you like. Feel free to message me. Big (((hugs)))

• Posted

hi Arwen; ty for your reply. My anxiety started last December after having a bad flu and hadn't slept in 3 days because if it during university exam week. The next night, soon as I fell asleep I woke up feeling I wasn't breathing and went to the ER. They told me to go home bc it was anxiety And to visit my doctor Which I did. my anxiety got so bad I stopped eating because I felt breathless. This is when my doctor prescribed me Lorazepam just to diagnose me. And sure enough that night I ate a full plate! My doctor advice me to visit a psychiatrist to get on antidepressants since Lorazepam shouldn't be taken for the long run. I've tried 2 diff antidepressants so far but I can't seem to stick to any bc of the side effects. Now I'm slowly cutting down Lorazepam and am currently at .5 mg daily. I do still get panic attacks and feel breathless but for the most part I am well. I've never had chest pain with anxiety though until about a month ago. sad

P.s. adorable kitty c:

• Posted

You're lucky theyve gone as far as a Coronary CTA, I had to push like mad just to get an Echocardiogram.

I always get chest pain, i've had like 6x ECG's, 2 stress ECG's, a 72 hour ECG and an echocardiogram. Each ones come back fine so im trying to convince myself theres nothing to worry about. I downloaded some statistics on heart diseases in the UK the other month, i'm a similar age to you (23) but male. 

In 2010, only 102 men under the age of 35 died from a result of coronary heart disease. And for you, only 36 women died under the age of 35, so just by that statistic its very very rare that you'll have any kind of build up in your arteries. 

• Posted

Hi gyda ty for your reply. The reason my doctor asked for the coronary cta is due to the fact that I could not finish my stress test. I was in the treadmill for 3 mins and started feeling g breathless because my biggest symptom of anxiety used to be breathlessness. Since I couldn't do the stress test he advice me the cta. He's an amazing doctor and cares about he's patients to the point of making sure we feel healthy however the imaging center for the cta was filled up and I must wait for my test. sad still have a little over a week. I'm counting the days. sad
  • Posted

Quick update. I had the CTA and it came back all clear. The chest pain is almost dissapeared too.

Good luck to everyone. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.