Horrible fusty, sweet smell in my nose. Sinus infection?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Over the past few years I've had what seems to be a recurring sinus infection with the same symptoms each time. The main symptom is a horrible smell in my nose and a feeling of pressure around the top of my nose, but no congestion or mucus. I saw a GP last time and she said the top of my nasal passages were very red. She prescribed a spray which seemed to work and, this time - I've had it for nearly a fortnight now - I asked for the same spray. Unfortunately, it has made no difference.

Has anyone else had similar symptoms, particularly the fusty, sweet smell? I'd be interested to know what might work to clear it, or what I could discuss with my GP.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi yes chronic sinus inflammation and at times weird smells which have changed over time. I have no remedy to offer sorry but most success was with a saline nasal spray. That helped me more than anything else...sterimar I think it is called.

• Posted

Thank you Margaret. I'll give that a try. The spray was Fluticasone furoate, which, I believe, is given for inflammation from allergies. Whatever, it has done absolutely nothing this time! Sorry that it sounds as though you get this, too, but I'm pleased that I'm not on my own!

• Posted

yes awful isn't it. Those kind of sprays do nothing for me either. Just don't affect the inflammation. I have an auto inflammatory disorder and very little helps my sinuses even though I am currently in remission. I feel lucky that this is by and large my only remaining symptom. I hope you find a solution.

• Posted

As well as the saline spray you could try taking Evening Primrose capsules. I used to get awful sinusitis that lasted months and antibiotics would shift it but it would soon come back. I remember the fusty smell in my head sometimes (like mould almost?) which, even without the pain was bad enough

I was prescribed the EP capsules for mastalgia (breast pain) which I took every day from then on. It seems stupidly unconnected but many years later, on this forum, I read a post about EP stopping sinus problems and realised I hadn't had any problem with mine since I started taking it. I read that it helps your immune system (or something) as it cuts out one of the stages that cells have to do to convert one thing into another and they need the right kind of oil to do this. Whatever, I didn't understand the science but I had no pain and, in retrospect, I had no more sinus issues either.

Try it, not too expensive and available in most places, you want the 1000mg size and take one every day. Give it time, don't expect results in a week, it may take six months or more but hey, it's stuff that's good for all your body's processes so that can't be bad! (I can't tell from your name but I'll add that it's definitely not only for women's problems, which is what some people assume).

• Posted

Thanks Miriam. I can remember taking Evening Primrose capsules many years ago for pre-menstrual syndrome, but haven't heard of it helping with sinus problems. Nothing to lose, so I'll get some. And you're right, the smell is just like mould - I also likened it to wet plaster! Lovely!

• Posted

Hi, Ive had this for four months!! I can see swellings at the back of my nose lining and I'm on a steroid spray and Ive been using it for 3 weeks and it MIGHT be starting to feel better, how long have you used one for? I get pressure so bad sometimes it feels like my nose might snap!! Ive no cold either!!

• Posted

That sounds awful, Robyn. I've only had it this time for about two weeks, but it's two weeks too long! I spoke to our pharmacist yesterday and she said that a steroid spray can take a few weeks to work, so, hopefully, it's getting better for you. No, it's not related to colds with me, either, it just appears out of the blue. Hope you're soon feeling much better.

• Posted

That's really interesting - I've had a strange fruity smell in my nose since I had a dental implant which involved a sinus lift - that explains it. Thank you!

• Posted

Hello, I just came across this site and I too had a sinus lift for dental implants earlier this year. And since then off and on probably the 3rd time now I keep getting this horrible sweet smell. Gives me a headache by the end of the day. Other then that I feel fine. Not sick at all, no sinus infection or anything.

So I would say for certain, if you had a sinus lift that's most likely the source.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.