Horrible GERD

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have very bed GERD and no matter what I eat I have to deal with my horrible symptoms. I am having a hard time breathing, my chest hurts, i have the urge to burp and yawn but I can't, and constantly clearing my throat. My diet just consists of English muffins- plain and water. Any suggestions on what I can eat that will NOT trigger these symptoms? I have been prescribe new medication, but the doctor told me my symptoms probably won' feel better for a couple of weeks. I have an endoscopy scheduled for 6/25 but I feel horrible right now. Side note: I am asthmatic so I have been staying consistent with my treatments, but they don't help with the breathing. 

- Sincerely, Someone who would just like to eat! sad 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

Avoid alcohol, spicy foods, oily foods, white bread, rice, fast foods, chips, soft drinks, sugar foods, food with preservatives. This is compulsory. No cheat day.

Keep a good posture, always.

Walk at least 1 hour a day.

Do not drink anything except from water.

Drink water 40 mins after meals or 30 mins before meals. Do not drink anything during meals.

Eat lots of papaya and banana.

Eat oat meal cooked in water. Do not add sugar.

Take this supplement, vit B12. This is compulsory. Consult your physician/doctor first and ask him/her if you can take vit B12 supplements.

Eat 2 hours before going to bed.

Do not take late snack.

Important note: Vit B12 supplement is a must. Do not forget to consult your physician/doctor first.

Keep me updated about your health via private message. 

Kind regards.

• Posted

I will definitely try the B12 (but will consult DR. first) and will definitely be getting some papaya and banana! Thank you for this!! 
  • Posted

English muffins are white bread.  I would avoid that.  If you add B12 to your diet as recommended by a previous post, be sure to take it sublingually.  It needs to get into your bloodstream that way.

Make sure you are not using any dairy.  Avoid sugar.

Maybe eggs would be a good thing to eat.  Research that.

• Posted

Hi try eating poached or steamed fish boiled or Jacket potatos fresh vegetables chicken ,  no spicy or frayed foods no alcohol or coffe or just one cup a day if it's your go to drink , drink water but no large volumes after meals 

• Posted

Michelle and Gillian- thank you both very much! I will definitely remove the wnglish muffins from my diet! These replies are definitely helpful! Thank you thank you!! 
  • Posted

All the advice is great. The obly thing i can add is that if you need something that can help immediately and is the only thing i found that can give some relief when you are really suffering is Gaviscon Advance, available on Amazon. I’ m not sure if i can give you brand name info on this board. Send me a private message if necessary 

• Posted

I went to fill my new prescription and i find out that my insurance company will not

Cover it since it is expensive. Can we discuss why an acid reflux medication would cost $200?! This is ridiculous. Worst part is that it was actually helping more than OTC omeprazole. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.