HORRIBLE Hydrocele Experience (My Father)

Posted , 4 users are following.

My father had this procedure done in December 2017.  It was horrific from day 1 - after we'd been told this is a 'routine surgery' and NO cause for concerns when his scrotum swelled up to the size of a LARGE softball - and would not subside.  The drain tube was removed 4 days post-op - however the swelling got worse and worse and worse.  Long story short - my father was back and forth for the next 4 weeks - the doctor RE-inserted the drain tube - still to no avail on the swelling.  Then hard lumps started forming and his penis began swelling as well.  Went back to dr and dr did emergency surgery the following day (1/3/18).  My father had to have his right testicle REMOVED, and has about a 4 inch incision across his scrotum closed with staples.  Also, they did about a 5 inch incision at his belt/belly line and that is also closed with staples.  He is in the hospital on mega strong antibiotics and is in miserable pain and on morphine.  This is so wrong.  I am thinking heavily about a lawsuit.  This has just been such a complete disaster and I feel so sorry for him.  (He is 70 years old ..) .... 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your Dad's predicament!  Sounds like your Doctor only plays one on radio or television. This operation, although in a sensitive area, is routine. There will always be swelling after the initial procedure. Did your Dad consistently have ice around the area. Ice is the best solution after this procedure. Did your Dad's Dr. instruct him to always have the area iced up? Also elevation of the area with pillows is important? It's so sad that many Dr.'s never tell patients the post op necessary. I had the procedure in July 2017. I had quite a large hydrocele. After the operation, rest, elevation, and lots of ice. I was up and walking fine within two days. Back at work wishing two weeks( well really four with a vacation). Best thing I ever did.  Hope your Dad feels better! Sounds like you had a bad doctor.

• Posted

My 24 year old son had a really bad Hydrocele. after living with it for nearly a year and as it just got worse, he finally had the surgery. Now, more than a year later his testicles are swollen to nearly 2 times the normal size and he is in constant pain...sever pain He has been told by his doctor that the hydrocele is gone but that he has some cysts now present. He "says" nothing more can be done other to send him off to a pain clinic where they will likely give him something like Oxycodonton for the pain. This is a 24 year old young man being told he will be deformed for the rest of his life and have to take very addictive pain medications for some time!!! Are you joking doctors!!! Does anyone out there living in or near New England know a good Urologist that could help my son? I have never talked to the guy, only my son and his Mom, (who believes every word that comes out of a Dr.'s mouth is fact), have been involved. I don't accept this path. I don't think it's right...in fact I would go so far as to say it's just straight up Bull SH%$. Anyone have any ideas? 

• Posted

Sorry about your boy! As I mentioned in my post above, I myself had a large hydrocele that I had surgery for in July 2017. I am 59 years old. I would highly recommend :  Justin D Harmon DO-Urologist. He is chief of surgery at St. Mary's Hospital, Langhorne, PA. If it were my son I would not hesitate! I was out of work for three weeks but could have gone back after one week. No complications other that soreness. So many horror stories regarding this procedure that should be a simple procedure. Look him up on the internet. It might be worth a nice drive or a quick airplane flight!  Best of luck to you and your son.

• Posted

Thank you for the PA connection, I'm going to look him up and see what he can do to help. Happy your procudure went well.

• Posted

Can I say to anyone looking at having this surgery done, only do it if you absolutely need too.

I had my first operation 6 weeks ago and was left with one testicle swelling two to three time the size of the hydrocele I was trying to get rid of. I was left with a small firm lemon in my scrotum.

The Doctor booked me back in two weeks later and what a mess He has basically fused my right testicle up against the upper right section of my scrotum. It can not move and looks like 2/3s the testicle is stuck to scrotum wall. The stitches scrunch up my scrotum sack on one side and it looks horrible.

I was a bit of vanity at 56 that had me thinking a quick operation would get rid of a small hydrocele. I have paid the price for that vanity with an ugly result.

Read around other reviews on the net and you will see other horror stories.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.