horrible morning

Posted , 8 users are following.

I hate anxiety.  I'm even starting to wonder if that's what I really have or if its something else.  I've been on celexa for 22 days.   This morning is absolutely awful.  I couldn't even shower.  I got in and had a horrible panic attack and thought i was gonna pass out and had to go sit down--my heart was racing, weird feeling in back of throat and internal shaking really bad.  So sick of this!   Maybe I need to up my dose again.  I started out on 5 mg and then moved to 10 last week.  Had been having some good days--except for heart palps, but now this.   Thank God I didn't have to work today.  My husband is going to drive me to my therapist appointment this morning.  Going to doctor again on Tuesday.  Maybe this drug is not for me.  So frustrated today.  I just want to feel better.  

0 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mama

Just stick with it, I know its hard but it really does take at least 6-8 weeks for it all to settle down. If you up the dose again it will be for longer. I was on 10mg and then upped to 20mg and had side effects again. I was ready to give up too but after about 2 months I started to feel normal again. Still have bad mornings 50% of the time, mainly just feeling sleepy though. Never been a morning person but I really struggle to motivate myself some days. Once I'm up and about I'm fine. These meds take a long time to adjust your levels in your body, its not a quick fix by any means but you will get there if you stick it out I'm sure.

• Posted

Hi. I know exactly how you are feeling. It’s really really awful. Try and stick with it though because it will get better. I’m about 8 weeks in to switching brands of citalopram and am only just starting to feel any better and these side effects are reducing slowly. Has it lifted any today as the day as gone on? Take care x
    • Posted

It has gotten better. I went and did an ART session with my therapist and that helped as well. Hoping it was just a hiccup this morning. Totally scared me, but I am doing better now. Thanks for asking.

• Posted

Hi. I have been on citalopram for a long time but have always had the same brand as some others don’t suit me. My usual brand stopped making them so I’ve had to switch to another supplier. I’ve had the most horrendous time this past 2 months while getting these new ones in my system. I know there shouldn’t be any difference but there are! I am starting to feel a bit better now. Hope you are well 
  • Posted

Hi Mama

Did you notice any improvements being on 5mg?  as you upped your dose last week, upping it again so soon could increase all your side effects, it takes time to settle on this.  Hang in there!

• Posted

I actually did notice a difference on 5mg. I am very sensitive to meds so that didn't surprise me. I probably need to stay on 10 awhile longer anf get used to it. My dr told me to cut a 20mg pill in half for 10mg, the therapist told me today to have them prescribe 10 and not cut them as the dosage may not be actually 10 and could.mess with side effects, also she suggested to go on actual celexa and not generic if symptoms persist as fillers could be different a d size issues sometimes. So will do that when i go back on tuesday. Feeling better this afternoon. Thanks for your advice--i think your right in staying where I'm at for now.

• Posted

I recovered on ten ...so it is possible..and do take therapist advise on getting 10milligram tablets for more accuracy..
  • Posted

Yesterday I had nearly exactly the same problem, even when I went to shower.... today I woke up and felt the same, but today every time I have felt any symptoms come on I just go with it and let them happen and after some breathing techniques and trying my best to stay busy they went after a few mins. I know it's easier said than done and I know I'm still not quite there myself yet,  but I hope you get better soon. 

• Posted

Thank you. Hopefully things go better for you as well. Been outside this afternoon and evening cleaning up the yard to help me from overthinking and taking my mind off things.
    • Posted

Yeah I usually try and eat something and then get out in the garden to cut some grass or wash the car.... my car has been spotless since I started I started these tablets lol 
    • Posted

That's a good benefit! Garden was too muddy yet but got quite of but wood scraps burned and weeds pulled around the house.

• Posted

Woke up at 2 this morning with my head feeling on fire and heart palps. Can't get the actual 10 mg tablets until Monday-so dumb. Yard work this morning helped a little bit just small panic attacks. Hopefully after dinner I'll feel better, taking my daughter to a play tonight so hoping i can feel better and get through it.

• Posted

How did the play go? Yeah the night time panic attacks are not good. I just felt one coming on but luckily I was able to control it. Today went ok for me, full of anxiety with bits of the day when I felt great. 
    • Posted

Almost didn't make it to the play. Worked hard all day was doing good and then got a horrible migraine. I get migraines that first make my vision go goofy then get a wave of numbness then the headache. Luckily my daughter can drive so I rested and she drive us there. The play was really good just fought with the headache and little panic attacks. Overnight and this morning still battling them. Of course was worried cause I had to take Advil for the headache and then didn't know if that was bad with the celexa. Add that with a bad storm last night and I didn't get a lot of sleep. Hopefully today will be better. I have acupuncture in Tuesday and that always seems to help with with migraines. I hadn't had one in over a year.

• Posted

Glad you made it to the play. I slept quite well last night but woke up feeling really anxious and sick. Just going to try and stay strong today as it's my brothers birthday and a lot of family are visiting 

• Posted

Glad u slept well, that seems to make it easier to face the anxiousness. It will help to be by family and maybe take.your mind off.the anxiety. I always tell myself I made it through the last bout I can make it through this one. Hope u have a great day! I think I'll be taking it easy today to rid this headache.

• Posted

Lois95799 I have a question for you, did it take a long time for you to finally get over your anxiety. I realize I'm just starting my journey but just curious if this is somethung that people are on forever or if they are able to truly get off the meds and be okay again down the road.

• Posted

It took me 8 months for anxiety to go.iam still on celexa 26months and counting..now do you think iam going to play curiosity to come off the meds and experience that horrible anxiety I had..pardon my words..HELL NO!!!I ain't taking that chance..and yes the celexa save my life..

• Posted

Thank you for your honesty. It gives us all hope for a better future! I just keep telling myself if I have to stay on it forever it's no different than having to be on my thyroid medicine since I dont have a have a thyroid I will be on it forever.

• Posted

Absolutely ..mentay health is some serious s-it
    • Posted

How did your day Go? Hope you felt better as the day went on and got to enjoy time with family.

• Posted

Went great, would even go as far as saying it's been my best day since I have been on citalapram. It's the quickest my morning anxiety and sick feeling has went and the family being here for my brothers part definitely helped. A lot of them have been through it and give me some handy tips and reassured me that it will get better and they are all there for me. How did your day go? 

• Posted

It was okay. Anxiety wasn't too bad, just heart palps and headache left from the migraine. Got to sleep some and so had a decent day. Glad to hear you had a good day! Hope they continue!

• Posted

Thank you. Glad your day wasn't so bad either smile I woke up today not too anxious, just a little nauseous but hopefully some food will sort that. Hope you have a good day today 

• Posted

I woke up feeling shaky today so hopefully that will pass. Probably nervous bout Dr appt.tomorrow. I also watch kids during the day and have quite a few today--but all.is good. They will help keep my.mind off it. Have a good day!

• Posted

l had another bad panic attack this morning. Getting breakfast and had a cold sensation all over and feel like could pass out. I ate some toast and Hoping that will help. Glad my husband is home with me this morning. There are benefits to being self employed. I just really need to start feeling better again. We are going on vacation in August and want to enjoy it.
    • Posted

You should see if your doctor will give you a short term benzo..for those panic attacks..
    • Posted

I do have some but they didn't want me to take them. I may have to today. The waves just keep coming. I don't know why they didn't want me to take them. I hate taking things so it's not like I am taking them all the time. Haven't used one in like 6 months.

• Posted

Don't suffer... doctor gave them to you for a reason..split them in half..

• Posted

Aww no ?? Hope you feel a little better now. It's scary how similar your story is to mine. I also have a holiday booked in august and I'm beginning to worry about it 

• Posted

I am a little better this afternoon. Thanks for asking . I keep telling myself that the vacation will be relaxing and fun. It's probably just what we both need.

• Posted

The side effects of celexa will give you panic towards thinking about doctor's appointment and also vacations for some strange reason..even at times going to the grocery store is a task

• Posted

Yeah I dread the doctors appointments and even going out to be honest. But once I actually do the things I'm usually fine 

• Posted

Yeah when my anxious moments (especially the morning) wears off I'm usually looking forward to the holiday. Also nice weather this week is getting me in the mood for holiday 

• Posted

Yep that's me too. I hate going out and don't like to go alone but once out usually it goes fine. Crazy.

• Posted

Hopefully in a few weeks or months we will be fine. In the evenings I'm fine and feel my normal self if not better: that's why I'm sticking with the medication for now because I know it's doing something and might just take a while to fully work. 

• Posted

That's where I am at. I could tell a big difference last week so I dont want to lose that. My therapist also suggested probiotics and said they can also help in addition so I am going to try getting more of those in. This too shall pass.

• Posted

Might try that myself and see if it helps. 
    • Posted

How did your doctors appointment go? I was also at doctors, seems to think a lot of my symptoms is heartburn and indigestion. 
    • Posted

Unless you had heart burn or indigestion before celexa .it's most definitely side effects of celexa..they will pass..

• Posted

They went well.  We decided to keep with the celexa for at least a few more weeks since I have had more good than bad days and have only been on it 3 weeks.   We did go back to the 10 mg tablet and not splitting the 20 anymore.  She told me benzos were okay to take if bad attack and if still having trouble in a few weeks we will add buspar but hopefully things will have settled down and wont need too.  I have a wave when I was there so she knows I'm not making it up.  The accupuncture and chiro went well too and feel a lot calmer this afternoon.  I going with it was a hiccup on the way to recovery.  Hows your day been going?  I seem to get heartburn and gerd a lot too.  Glad your appointment went well. 

• Posted

That's good to hear. Yeah me and my doctor decided to give it another few weeks and keep it going until my cbt sessions start. My day has been good, just the usual sickness in the morning and a little anxiety.

• Posted

I did have some indigestion before I started these meds but nothing as bad as I have been having recently. I'm currently on week 11/12 is this still early days for 20mg? I'm having my good and bad days. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.