Horrible mouth pain, muscle pain, anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I was put on doxazosin after a period of great stress (xmas), and although it's lowered my BP, I've had horrible side effects. 

I've had the racing heart, swollen ankles, breast pain, chest pain (muscular), sore throat, sore jaw, headaches, anxiety, etc.

I was on 4mg for one day and my right leg gave out from under me, so I went down to 1mg. 

Since then, I haven't had that the leg caving thing (thank God!), but I feel very unwell.

I feel heady, like I have a very bad cold. My nose hurts, my throat hurts, my teeth hurt, my ears hurt, and the roof of my mouth hurts. 

The anxiety the drug induces is magnified because of the side effects, and the side effects increase the anxiety. The anxiety raises my blood pressure, and the cycle goes on, ad infinitum.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?  

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

all these BP tablets seem to be the same with really nasty side effects

(read amlodipine and ramipril and bendro) I am trying to do mine by normal foods eg beetroot celery garlic tomato and any other natural diaretic that I can find but watch out for tinitus ,it seems to come when I haven't eaten enough sugar and carbs, not sure about this but I ate a piece of choco cake and it went away. could have been a coincidence but who knows!

• Posted

Hi Jean,

Not had tinnitus thankfully, but do have occasional sinus pain. 

I think trying to eat as naturally as possible is a good idea. I'm trying to come off dairy (milk that is - I only have cheese at weekends, and then only a small amount), and have reduced my coffee intake drastically (was a huge fan of lattes!).

When you go hungry for too long, your kidneys protest, and that can do all sorts, not least of which is high BP. Maybe a reason as to why you felt better after chocolate cake...? 

Thanks for commenting! I don't feel quite so alone now :D 

P.S. I was put on Ramipril in 2004, but the pain was so intense that they switched to Irbesartan. And when I say pain, I'm talking about them giving my 20mg (TWENTY!!) of diazepam to try and alleviate it! 

What BP meds are you currently taking Jean? 

• Posted

I am not taking any of the medication, I am doing the natural diuretics and watching my diet. doing plenty of walking everyday, which I always did anyway. I had never taken any tablets/pills in my life and I was never ill not ever headaches or flu or nothing.....then I was visiting a friend in hospital and a nurse took my BP. BANG!all I could hear was stroke, heart attack, they gave me Amlodipine, ramipril,bendro,aspirins,statins,

and a spray for under the tongue .I took the amlodipine because I was so scared, the anxiety was horrendous it was sending the BP through the roof. I thought my pelvic frame had snapped in half and all I wanted to do was lie flat, my legs felt like they were filled with concrete. I had never felt ill in my life. I was like a scared zombie

so I looked on this site and found Natural Diuretics. ..look it up and tell me what you think

• Posted

I'm happy to hear you're not taking anything now! 

Amlodipine is horrendous. They gave me that 2 years ago, after I'd had an allergic reaction to Atenolol, and I was so weak I had to stop it. It took months to recover from that weakness. 

After that though, I took Doxazosin for a few weeks, then stopped it. My BP was fine until just after Xmas this year, which was a particularly stressful one. 

So once I start to feel less stressed, it should lower itself again. 

I couldn't find natural diuretics on this site Jean... What did you find? Can you share a link? 

I did find a few articles on the web, so I'll try and incorporate those that aren't tea, coffee, or aubergines into my diet more frequently. 

• Posted

there are lots of sites - search Google for Natural Diuretics

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the link with a suggested Google search term rather than a specific website.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.