Horrible Reflux

Posted , 6 users are following.

51 yr old male.

I have gastritis and Barrettes esophagus.

Had scope done a couple months ago.

I am also type 2 diabetic and have hbp.

Take meds for those.

I have had signs of reflux for years and never really knew that's what it was but now it's so bad!!

I am light headed, don't concentrate well, clear throat constantly, chest hurts, arms hurt, get headaches. To top all that these symptoms make my anxiety go nuts.

I see gastro on 5-1 I want to know what has worked for you people??

I'm to the point that I'm missing out on life!!

What do I need to talk to my gastro doc about?

I take 2 Gen nexium each day and it really don't help. Rolaids helps but just a short bit.

Any help would be appreciated

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Nothing to offer in way of answers unfortunately. I have reflux also and in the beginning didn't know it even had a name. Now 6 years later I'm very familiar with it and sorry to say it has only gotten worse. Every Gastroenterologist I have spoken to on it has said the same thing which is just keep taking your meds. Mine are Pantraprazole 80 mg per day and they are virtually useless. Every time I would complain how bad my daily symptoms were all they did was up the dosage. Ive had 3 endoscopies which pretty much came out normal so the meds are all they can think of to do. It's a living nightmare for me living daily with nausea, headaches, and the lump sensation always present in my throat. I must admit though that stress does seem to worsen my condition but I think it's the stress of worrying about another day of feeling horrible so it's like a vicious circle.

By the way I take Gaviscon from time to time but it's not very helpful either.

• Posted

Thanks

I wish u well !

I am NOT going to take the ole "take more meds" crap! I'm tired of this stuff ! I have insurance it's time to get this stuff fixed.

• Posted

Carol, what do you expect a doctor to tell you? There are 2-3 things available in treating upper digestive issues and those are: meds, more meds, surgery which is not so common....
    • Posted

What I mean is for Dr. to run more tests to see if it could be something other than Reflux since meds are doing nothing. I know a lot of people say PPI's do little to help them so in my eyes i'm thinking maybe it's something else. I'm tired of living with nausea every day and tired of useless antiemetics and after all...he's the doctor.

• Posted

Why don't you ask about having surgery or stretta treatment, especially with all the symptoms you have . Good luck hope you find a solution soon and get relief.

• Posted

Your Dr should be telling you what test you will need and ect... My GI Dr started with a couple of different test, my last test was the thing down my nose n had to keep it for 24hrs n I had to push buttons when I felt I had Acid, knots in my throat, ( which is always) n my next test is gonna be swallow test, I'll eat something like eggs n toast n they watch all this through X-rays. So Hopefully my Dr will know something soon. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, Just wanted to ask you if you know what the test with the thing in your nose for 24 hrs is called? Ive always wondered if they had a 'watch in action' moniter type test for gastric symptoms?

• Posted

I understand you. If the meds dont help then you should always seek for something else. Do all the test nescessary..
  • Posted

How long have you been taking meds by now (Nexium)?
    • Posted

The generic nexium I have been take 2-40mg for approx a month maybe month and half now.

Years ago I took real Nexium and it helped, but now it doesn't seem to help

• Posted

How long have you been on real Nexium? Did you experience any sside effects on them?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.