Horrible Sciatica Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I know it’s off topic but has anyone ever suffered from this. I have three small kids, work and school. This pain is unbearable and I don’t have time to go to the doctor again. I went last week and have a MRI scheduled for next week. They think it’s from a herniated disk. But in the mean time, I can’t get anything done with the pain. Do anyone know anything I can do to stop or minizime the pain, please?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam 2169, I m sorry to hear about the sciatica , having suffered from same last summer ( due to a herniated disc) and know exactly how unbearable that pain can be. Since I avoid taking painkillers as much as possible ( anti inflammatories are recommended in these cases as well as painkillers) I had to resort to alternative methods. And they seemed to provide some relief.

Avoid lying on your back. at night , use a pillow between your legs so they don t touch . I would take a 20 mins hot bath daily, with Epsom salts, which provided immediate muscular relief ( muscles tighten up and are stiff due to the nerve pain ) . I also found help in chewing on fresh turmeric, half a root daily would be the maxmum recommended. It is a natural anti inflammatory, as well as a mild painkiller . But what really made a difference in my case was the acupuncture sessions. I went to the first one almost on my four! could not stand up, as the pain was killing me. After the second session I could already walk , if with some discomfort. 

Avoid lifting any weights ,try and rest as much as possible , but  please do walk, if you can.  I suppose with 3 small kids recommendations like these can be challenging, but it s the only way to heal. Unless you want to go the steroids way. Hiding the problem may work short term, but the issue is not solved. Rest and caring for yourself will soon have you feel much better. I was almost paralyzed due to that pain for 5 weeks. and 3 months later I was going to dance school sessions!  wishing you a prompt recovery, and please keep us updated! 

• Posted

Thank you so much! Will try everything ❤️
  • Posted

I have sciatica and Graves' disease . The problem with sciatica is it hurts if you sit, stand lay down you just don't know what to do with yourself to be comfortable. I have found having some physio has helped. I was also prescribed co codamol for day time and amytriptaline for night time and to help me sleep. Really hope you get some relief soon as it's miserable .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.