Horrible sensation when falling asleep HELP please!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Alright so for the past two weeks I have been super dizzy when walking around, I went to urgent care and they diagnosed me with labyrinthitis. Nothing was wrong except I was just dizzy and lightheaded with feelings of brain fog. With this I was fine just issues walking. I have never been to a psychiatrist or diagnosed with anxiety or depression, but I do experience a lot of symptoms of anxiety. 

Then one night I randomly got insomnia and didn't fall asleep until 4am which is extremely unlike me because I always get wonderful sleep. So the next day after the insomnia I was fine, just feeling very depressed and filled with anxiety. That night as I was dosing off I would wake up gasping for air and my body went into a panic. My heart rate was out of control and I felt like I was actullay dying (as stupid as that sounds), but my mom called 911 and I was rushed to the ER and they said everything was fine but wants me to see a cardiologist due to my heart rate. I am not for sure if that was a panic attack or not. But I do have a history of tachacardyia, and I am going to cardiologist to get that ruled out. But my heart doesn't seem to be a problem that much during this so?

The next night of sleep I experienced the weirdest, scariest sensation EVER. I cannot even fully describe how it feels! But this is the best I can do at explaining. First when I was trying to fall asleep I would loose my breath and not be able to breath, but that slowly went away. It would feel like I was just slipping into like death with no breathing and I would just wake up a little alerted. So next as I was dosing off, it would feel like a certain part of my body would go numb and just pulse and I would just lay through it and wait for it to pass. Then it would happen in my head. It would feel like a wave/ surge would be going over my head and I just have to suffer through it. It also felt like when this is happening my eyes roll to the back of my head. There is no pain when this happens, just a very frightening feeling. Also feels like a episode of panic goes throughout my whole body as this happens. I don't know if this makes any sense though.

I can't even search up my symptoms because I don't know how to put this sensation into words! It doesn't feel dangerous but it definitely doesn't feel normal. My parents want me to see a neurologist but the thing is I can't see one for months because this isn't considered urgent. I am just unsure if this is something that's wrong with me or anxiety can cause this.  

I am so exauhsted due to the fact I haven't gotten more than five hours of sleep the pay few nights, but I physically cannot sleep while this sensation is happening. I am actullay terrified to fall asleep now because this only happens when I am about to sleep. So what I am trying to get at if this is something I should actullay seek medical help for or this sounds like an anxiety problems. 

Help would be great because I am an 18 year old active healthy girl and this has never happened in my life and I am terrified and want some relief. Pls help!!:-(

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have anxiety amd have been experiencing this too i an on fluoxetine ams im convinced they have aomwthing to do with it xxx  
  • Posted

Hi. I would ask your Dr for a thorough check up. Also mention that you have an idea it may be anxiety. The lack of sleep will.only fuel your physical and mental feelings. Go and see them as soon as you can. Take care x
    • Posted

That's what I want to do. Since I am only 18 my parents still are a big part of my life and are insisting I see a cardio doctor first. Then if I don't have medical problems they want me to get mental health. But I do feel like mental health totally could be contributing. I have never had insomnia or anything until recently so it is weird. Scary to tell if something's actullay wrong or anxiety 

• Posted

Anxiety can give you many physical symptoms. Do you find they are worse if you feel nervous or anxious. Insomnia is very common too. It's good that your parents want to make sure everything is ok though. Hi for a general health check and mention everything. Something bad doesn't have to have happened to.make you anxious.

• Posted

Hi! I know this was made 3 years ago but i was wondering if you found anything that helps. I'm 13 and i go through the same EXACT thing. It is honestly so scary and i just wanna go back to normal so so bad. So if you can help please let me know. 😃

• Posted

I came across your post because I have been having the EXACT same issues as you are describing and I, like you, was having a hard time trying to google symptoms and issues because its so hard to describe... but you described it PERFECTLY. I see that your post was 5 years ago... I am wondering if you ever found any answers as to what it was or what was causing it? Have you found anything that helped? I am going to try to get into the doctor this week maybe... it just started happening a few days ago... it is very scary... and i am very tired from the lack of sleep. Hoping you have some sort of answers maybe???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.