Horrible side effects!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I have been taking CIT for only three days, and I have suffered from many of side effects that others have, the headaches, tiredness, light sleeping/tossing and turning and loss of appetite. But my headaches feel like a hang over headache (if that makes any sense) in the temple/front of head region which really worries me. I know that I have to give my body time to adapt to the med but it can be kind of scary. The 1st day I was totally zonked like most of you peeps on this forum have said, my eyes also felt like they were popping out my head, but I must admit I did feel a positive change it felt like,well nothing was on my mind and quite relaxed oppose to my usual agitated self (whether that was from being totally out of it I dont know?) On 2nd day I felt really pissed off(wound up) and quite frustrated,still with side effects. Today the 3rd day seems no different to the 2nd, not feeling as frustrated though.

I'm started to think is my brain fighting against this med, why my head is constantly aching?

I also would like to know if any one takes painkillers or is that dangerous, as I read ibuprofen can be harmful which worries me as I need to take painkillers during my time of the month.

I am just shocked by these horrible side effects, my GP said it would take a few weeks but I have read that others on this forum have these effect for up to a month. Apart from the 1st day, it doesnt seem that my feelings are changing towards things, which again worries me as I dont wanna go through all this, and the meds do not work after a month or so

I will be going back to the doctor, but I would love to hear some opinons/experiences that can be shared with me beforehand.

Should I go to my GP sooner than arranged?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You should go back to your GP about any side effects that become intolerable. He/she should be able to help you over the worst of them - e.g. sometimes the sleeplessness can be helped with a further prescription until it settles down. I would guess that things like ibuprofen for the headaches are OK. I found they were.

The main thing is to be persistent. SSRIs tend to have different effects on different people but there is almost always a period that you will have to get through before you really feel the benefits. This should involve keeping in close contact with your GP and, if necessary, adjusting the dose. It's definitely a learning process.

Don't give up on Citalopram unless you really have to. If you have problems keep in touch and you will find people on this site who will support you. Keep strong and it will get better.

• Posted

Hi,

Agree you should go back to your GP about the side effects... I don't know about using Ibuprofen with Cit, I read somewhere that NSAI (Iubuprofen is one) and SSRI (Cit) combined can cause problems.. I'll try and find a link...

Take care and go and see your Gp!!

• Posted

Thanks for the two replies, I have not experienced any bad effects today, which is obviously a good thing, Hopefully if its stays like this (no effects) I can give it 7 days (on the 4th day), before I go back to my GP as I am keeping a brief diary. thank you again, your opinion/advise is very much appreciated.
  • Posted

Hi, I really think that Ibuprofen shouldn`t be taken with Citalopram, however ask your GP, he may suggest you something similar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.