Horrible symptoms just came back

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello eveyone,

I have been dignosed GERD and esophagitis last March after EGD, the symptoms were lump and tight sensation, heart burn. Before EGD, i took omeprazole and esomeprazole for several weeks, but they both didn't work for me, and doctor switched pantoprazole from esomeprazole for me for three months. After weeks of taking pantoprazol, my symptoms went away and i was free of symptoms for several months. Although, i had some recurrences latter, but i could always use pantoprazole to expel the lump feeling and heart burn.

But it's not easy for me this time. I drank strong green tea for almost two weeks since the middle of June which is last month, i had some symptoms such as heart burn, then, i started to take pantoprazole around 25th of June. The symptoms were eased up at the 4th days after i stated taking pantoprazole or i would say that i didn't have any symptoms back then. I thought that i might be OK to eat some spicy food since i didn't have any symptoms. Then, i ate spicy food for two days. bad luck for me. Symptoms just came back again, strong lump and tight feeling, heart burn. I kept me on PPI while these symptoms came back until now.

I saw my doctor last Friday and asked her if i need to see GI doctor, she said that it's not necessary to see GI doctor again because i already have done EGD last year. I also asked her if i need to switch to other type of PPI since pantoprazole seems doesn't work for me. She said that pantoprazole is a very good medicine, no need to change to others. By the way, I'm avoiding all the food that may trigger symptoms. and i'm on very plain food now.

My questions are,

1. How long does it take for me to see the effect of PPI, since i still have symptoms while on PPI. According my past experience, I shold have symptoms free by now since i have been on pantoprazole for almost two weeks.
  2. Do i need to see GI doctor again?
  3. Do i need to have another EGD done again?
  4. Do i need to have breath test done again (For H.Pylori)? I was inffected by H.Pylori 4 years ago, and the bacteria was eradicated by the two weeks of antibiotics back then. I have done breath test last year, the result was negative. EGD also confirmed that H.Pylori was negative as well.

Thanks a lot

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would say just avoid the spicy foods! Different foods trigger different people! And be patient!

The green tea* may* actually irritate your esophagus/stomach. It DOES contain caffeine. Try eliminating that. What helps one person may not help another and vice versa.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you very much Michelle!

I already called my doctor to order me a breath test for H.Pylori. I just want to make sure if i'm re-infected by H.Pylori or not. But last upper endoscopy and urea breath test both showed that H.Pylori was negative.

I already discontinued Pantoprazole two days ago, but on Famotidine (20 mg) per tablet everyday for around two weeks. Then i will have breath test done in two weeks.

My symptoms aggravate in the evening with strong lump sensation and mild heartburn (acid reflux), and feels better during the day, like i was ok, didn't feel anything symptoms during the day yesterday.

Do you think that if i need to have another upper endoscopy done or it's not necessary? My last upper endoscopy was done at the last day of March, 2018. I'm so scared of stomach cancer, and cannot sleep well recently and cannot completely focus on my work.

Also, this question has always haunted in my mind that, why Pantoprazole doesn't work for me this time. Because it's like panacea for me in the past several months once i ate spicy food or ingest green tea and had symptoms(like lump sensation or heartburn). But this time, It doesn't work for me so far. My symptoms recur only after eating some culprit food (spicy, and high amount of Caffeine). They don't recur for no reason for what i can recalled now. My last question is that can cancer develop in less than one year based on my last upper endoscopy result?

Thank you Michelle

• Posted

Another question.

Is it normal to still have heartburn (acid reflux) while on PPI. I have heartburn even when i took pantoprazole this time.

• Posted

i dont think you should be too worried about cancer if you had s endo last year. but i am not a doctor. i still had heartburn on occasion while using omeprazole but it helped a lot. my biggest problem is taking my meds for other things and then lying down. i have a hernia so my stomach contents creeps back up my esophagus and when there are medications in there, they seem to shoot up and i aspirate while sleeping. we are all different. worrying (stress) makes acid reflex worse. take care of yourself, dont smoke, and the chances of stomach cancer arent that great!

• Posted

Thank Michelle, My last endoscopy result show no hiatus hernia. I think you are right, too much stress and worries are not for recovery. But the reason why i worry is because i have seen any improvement yet. lump feeling, heartburn and belching everyday while using Pantoprazole. But i already discontinued PPI because i will have H.Pylori test done in two weeks. Hopefully, no reinfection of H.Pylori.

Hope my symptoms will ease in coming days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.