Horrible symptoms with SVT/Arrhythmias

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone, glad to have found a place with so many helpful people.

I would like to know if any of you suffering from SVT or Arrhythmias get horrible symptoms when getting an episode.

I get the feeling that I am dying. I get blurred vision, my body burns maybe from lack of oxygen, I cannot breathe properly, legs shake violently. My heart beats irregularly, pounds, slows down, go back up, like it cannot find a rhythm. It really feels like the body is shutting down.

Anyone can relate? I feel very sad because each time it is like the last time and out of my control.

Thanks for any reply.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I used to have SVT but got it treated, but then it came back 10 years later as something else. It's not as severe as you have it but I can understand the anxiety with episodes. Can be terrifying. What did your cardiologist say? You may ask to have a loop monitor implanted. The more data the physician has on your condition the better they can understand and treat what's going on. Seems to be me you need to take very proactive measures with your doctor to get this addressed. Also, do everything you can in your personal life to improve your heath. Immediately stop all caffeine intake and eat as healthy as you can stand. Stay well hydrated 24/7. Also, keep a log of everything. Date, time of episodes, what you felt, activity when it happened, how long it lasted. Make entries everyday like a journal. Keep it ready to be turned into your doctor. Wish you luck.

• Posted

Hi

I had SVT for 10 years before my ablation 5 years ago so I totally understand the anxiety that this can cause.

SVT is generally a fast regular pulse, mine was 240 ish beats a minute and the light headed, near fainting, pounding thing I had.

Like your first reply, exercise, any stimulants - coffee, alcohol etc, what you eat (sweet food used to kick mine off) and keep a diary.

My best advice whilst getting this checked out by a cardiologist is to learn the Valsalva manouver, google it. This will help you to stop them and feel in control. There are also positions you can adopt, lieing on your side and curling up into a ball, left side is best or crouching.

This is crap, but you can control it and learn to deal with it and there are lots of treatments that can get rid of it.

Take advice, keep strong and good luck.

• Posted

I've been contemplating an ablation as well. I've been going back and forth on the decision because I can usually keep myself from having svt episodes basically by not working out very hard at all. however, fitness is something i care a lot about. im torn if I take the (very small risk) of getting an ablation and something going bad and hopefully helping my quality of life if it works. Or do I just deal with it, continue to do slow small workouts and hold myself back alot on exercise and fitness, and.not take the risk. i haven't had episodes for months but it's only because i dont ever drink caffeine or push myself at all when exercising.

• Posted

I can completely relate to you! I have had SVT my whole life and learned to deal with it. Even though my episodes have become more frequent, I went many years without paying much attention to the episodes (ie. if an episode started while exercising or hiking, I would continue with the exercise even with the fast HR), but now I'm at the point where I want to be more proactive about it. I also feel that I've been holding back a bit more that usual to possibly avoid triggering an episode. I was excited to recently be referred to an EP for ablation, but the EP actually advised against doing the procedure due to risk of damage. Needless to say, I have been feeling very conflicted as to how to proceed...continue dealing with episodes or take the risk of ablation?

• Posted

First of all, I thank you both for your time and advice. Very kind of you.

I have been diagnosed with SVT since 2005 when I was 30 years old but I have had it since I was a child but at the time it was not bothersome and I could live normally.

I am currently on Verapamil 120mg SR (Slow Release) and follow my treatment at the hospital..

I can go months without an episode of SVT and might get a few in the same week. Sometimes they revert after 30 minutes of lying down but a few times I had to go to hospital as I would feel too bad (symptoms mentioned in opening post). All the Valsalva maneuvers do not help but I have noticed that sometimes I have to go to toilet. Maybe Vagus nerve.

I have noticed that with age the symptoms are getting worse. Before I would just feel the tachycardia and be a bit out of breath. Now it is not possible to do anything. If I stand up, I feel like I will just fall. I feel faint even when lying down. My heart goes over 250bpm.

The last episode which I had on Tuesday was different. It did not feel like SVT , my heart was just beating irregularly and in an erratic way. Vision went blurred, body burned like there was a hot substance being injected everywhere (could that be lack of oxygen?). One of the worst episode I have had with my heartbeats. I also have skipped heartbeats everyday.

I want to mention that I also live in a country (island) where ablation, holter monitor are not available. We are treated with medicine only.

As advised by someone above, I also logged down every detail, every date, duration of each episode. I do not drink coffee and try to eat healthy ( I do not always succeed). I try to be active but lately it has been impossible with confinement and working from home.

This post is quite long but I wanted to give as much information as I could.. It might help anyone relate or give an advice. Thanks again.

• Posted

Where do you live. Can you travel for better health care?

It seems awful that you are denied a possible cure or a least some relief.

• Posted

Have you seen an EP?

Gold standard for arrhythmias. Cardiologist is the plumber, EP is the Electrician.

And yes I can relate to your symptoms, have had paroxysmal AF for over 15 years and more recently have developed SVT. Short runs but enough to make me feel exactly as you say. I then sometimes go into a full blown AF episode for up to12 hours. Chest pain, arm pain, jaw pain dizzy, nausea. I am contemplating ablation for AF next year.

• Edited

Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday, I had a horrible episode of SVT which lasted over 1 hour. After lying down for 30mins waiting for the heart to get back in normal rhythm, I started to feel really bad. Same symptoms as above, could not breathe, could not stand, chest very tight and lungs felt like they were compressed. Going down the lane to get in the car to go to hospital which is just a few meters long was pure agony. Every step was like the last step of my life. It took 20 mins to reach hospital and as soon as I was put on monitor the heart reverted back to 120 (it was above 200 when I was feeling the symptoms). I was relieved but also frustrated as the monitor did not have time to catch the SVT. But since I am treated at this hospital, they know my medical history.

It was weird how when I was getting on the hospital bed, I could not breathe and after a few seconds of lying down the heartbeats were down to 120! But obviously I am happy to be back home.

I just have a hard time dealing with the near fainting and shortness of breath etc.

I keep reading online about the symptoms, but sometimes it feels like I am one of the rare people who get them so bad. The symptoms are more scary than the heartbeats themselves.

Such a damper on everyday life.

Whoever is reading, thank you for your time.

• Posted

Hello,

I'm in the process of being diagnosed. I shake so much I can't stand, I sweat like crazy and have shortness of breath. It really feels as if I will drop dead. I'm living in such fear that it hardly feels like I'm living x

• Posted

i have had ectopics and short runs of SVT for over 20 years, i wasn,t aware what they were,they couldn,t be picked up on a 24 hour monitor because it didn,t happen at that particular time. 4 years ago igot the big one 197 beats a minute which wouldn,t stop and i was diagnosed. As i,ve got older they have got worse and i suffer palpitations and horrible symptoms daily. i have been called for an ablation but am very worried it will not be a success, the ectopics and palpitations plague me day and night. it is like a living hell some days. i take Bisprolol and i,m not sure if this makes me feel worse, tried to come off it several times but felt just as bad. i feel sorry for you,nobody knows how it makes us feel.i found that eating causes it to become uncomfortable with pressure in the chest and throat, i read its something to do with the vagus nerve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.