Horrid throat condition

Posted , 21 users are following.

I've been suffering with some horrible throst symptoms. My throat will one minute feel really dry at the back of my nose where it meets my throat, just under my vocal chords in my trachea and then centrally in my chest. I also get severe tightness in my windpipe just under my vocal chords. It feels so bad that i feel like im gasping for air although i don't sound wheezy. I'm coughing frequently and also clearing my throat often. my throat muscles also ache and i always feel my jaw being tense. When i inhale air i feel the irritation more and it makes my throat drier and it causes me to cough more. Sometimes there will be a feeling of alot of phlegm in my windpipe which is thick which i can't clear.

I've been to the doctors many of times where i've had a camera put in my throat, a upper gi endoscopy, a barium swallow test, blood tests, peak flow test on lungs. I've had different guesses to what it could be with the latest one post nasal drip caused by allergies. My nose hardly ever feels blocked and feels normal except for the dryness at the back. I've been prescribed nasal steroid which im 2 days into. My nose feels open, however my lungs and throat still feel tight. I've been getting really bad anxiety from all whats happening and i'm fed up with people saying it's all in my head. No matter how many times people say i'm fine, i feel something very bad is happening. I just don't feel anywhere near right. 

Is anyone else getting this irritation or has suffere from it before? What did you do to soothe the dryness in the throat and lungs. I do breathe in steam when i can, however it doesn't feel to be making much difference. 

Thanks

Chris

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Chris

I'm interested to know how you are getting on now? I feel for you as I've had terrible throat problems for two years now.

What you describe sounds extremely similar to some of my symptoms. I get a dryness in my nasal pharynx, it's slightly too high for water to touch it when I drink, so it stays dry. As you say it's where the nose meets the mouth, and for me at the sides more than the middle.

I've had a chronic voice problem for two years, do you have voice problems? One day it just became very painful to talk or sing and I experienced extreme burning and tension. I couldnt speak at all for months, and even now two years later I barely talk because it's so painful, dry and tense.

But the dryness you describe has become a more consistent symptom. The only relief I find is when I am eating.

I was a chronic anxiety sufferer for most of my life and I'm sure in many ways this is all a result of that. But a year and a half ago I had my tonsils removed and it really calmed my nervous system down. It was very strange but a miracle really. Unfortunately it didn't cure my voice or throat problems.

Please let me know how you are doing and if you relate to any of the other things I said

Thanks

Alex

• Posted

Wow, I've had this with a terrible chronic dry sinusitis. It all started during a heatwave at the end of july where my throat, lungs and mouth were all dry and I felt like I couldn't breathe- it woudl happen most in the evening around 6pm on. plus, I felt stuffed up in a dry way, as if my nose and throat were closing up and had to work to keep breathing. Terrible feeling! ALso felt like drinking water things didn't really moisten anything. Went to so many appointments and nothing! I went to an energy worker who does magnetic therapy and she said I had a viral infection in my glands that was blocking mucus production and from forming saliva/ mucus and moisture- I better but still have dry and inflammation in sinuses and throat is dry. Sometimes, i felt there was a lump in my throat and an inflamed feeling hanging out the back of my sinuses near the roof of my mouth..., had various types of throat issues and inflammation right under the back of my nose where my sinuses meet my throat. I am also a jeweler and have worked around some potentially toxic fumes- I'm staying away from doing any soldering work. Do you work around chemicals or started using a new chemical for anything? Are you in a polluted area? Try alternative medicines or something, it's truly terrible and I feel like no one takes it seriously. It could be a viral infection- i was told mine was brought by an insect bite. Still trying to figure out what is going on

• Posted

Stacy,

starting last February I began having almost exactly you symptoms minus the lump in the throat. But i would get some scratchiness at my esophagus. i had upper endoscopy and all seemed ok but i still take meds for stomach acid just in case. What interested me in your response is that i live above an antique restoration shop. And although i have resolved the issue with building owner, for years i would come home from work and smell lacquer and mineral spirits and other chemicals. I often wonder if this could be related.

• Posted

Wow. I don't always have the throat thing- it may be because of the dry quality of the air- they also had me taking corticosteroids and that's when the throat issues started to happen- there still is something going on with my throat, but it didn't start out this way and I'm not sure if it has to do with other meds or not. I'm currently off everything and just doing natural remedies like aloe and xylitol, lots of teas with ginger. Interesting- I'm sure the chemicals and toxins used in furniture restoration are pretty toxic and intense....also, old varnishes and paints have lead and and all sorts of irritants..... It must be related to your symptoms! If you are still in that building, get an air filter and some houseplants which filter air, and maybe talk to them. Sometimes, if the chemicals disturbed the sinuses, it can take a while to get rid of them. Does it help if you spend time in a different area?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.