Horrific sulphur wind

Posted , 4 users are following.

ibs sufferer for 10+ years. last months i have developed chronic freqyent wind as the day goes on that is very unpleasant in smell - like sulphur. i could literally be passing gas every minute. I havent had a change in diet or stress or anxiety. i have also been waking up in the early hours of the morning to have a bowel movement 2-3 times a week which ive also never experienced. i had a colonoscopy 18 months ago which ruled everything out other than ibs. my doctor has now prescribed me fybogel - will this help ibs d symptoms or likely make it worse?

in the meantime I'm doing a stool sample, my main concern is the cause of the wind and something that may get rid of it?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dorset 87

Try a product called 'Windeze' you can buy it from a pharmacy....

• Posted

Hi Dorset 87

• Posted

Hi Dorset 87

• Posted

IBS symptoms can change.; do not worry! The morning rush for a bowel movement is very common with IBS and so is gas. I have IBS and always get frequent, loud gas. Everyone has different symptoms. Try avoiding gassy drinks and vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage and Brussels sprouts. Windeze may help. Try a food diary to see what foods may be causing gas. Do not be concerned at the cause of the wind. All of what you are describing sounds very like an IBS flare up. It is very common to question your IBS when you experience different symptoms.

Fybogel is for constipation to help you get a bowel movement. If you are having diarrhoea, or frequent, urgent loose stools, you are better off with Imodium. A medication that gives you a laxative effect is the last thing you would want with IBS D. Did your doctor fully understand that you have IBS D?

• Posted

thats very helpful thank you, i have previously tried over the counter wind medicines to no avail, peppermint tea also doesn't seem to touch it. Are there any prescription based medicines that may alleviate the wind? I find the nights the wind is the worst and smelliest means the worse the bowel movements are the next morning.

thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.