Horse riding and LS - is there any hope?

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hello, I am a 48 year old woman who was diagnosed with LS four months ago, having been suffering with increasing symptoms for over a year.  I started menopause early, aged 43 and as a result of a routine blood test for this also discovered that I have an underactive thyroid so take levothyroxin daily.  I've been managing the LS reasonably successfully in terms of daily comfort and sex life but as you can tell from the title of this post, I am an equestrian and this is where my real problem lies at the moment.  I have two horses and until several months ago rode at least 6 times a week.  As my symptoms were progressing and before diagnosis I tried everything to relieve the pain - vaseline, feminine pads, gel filled saddle savers etc.  If I space my rides and only go for a light hack I'm fairly ok, but any serious riding and I'm wrecked afterwards.  I have just purchased some cycling shorts with what was described as a 'perineal relief' pad in the gusset area - hoping I could put these on just before riding and take them off again if they help.  I have also gone so far as talking to a saddler (male, so that was fairly embarrassing) about the possibility of using a gel pad with a hole in the middle on top of my saddle.  He is having a think, but there are lots of ergonomic issues with balancing on top of a horse which also have to be considered.   Does anyone else here manage to ride (or even cycle) successfully using remedial padding or accessories of any description or am I facing a life without horses?cry

2 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I would think that a sitting trot would really aggravate the situation.  I switched to gaited horses years ago.  I ride Peruvian Pasos and Paso Finos.  These horses are great as they do not have much movement on the topline so,  very little movement to the rider.  I don't do dressage as I think it is one of the worst diciplines for pelvic disorders.
  • Posted

Thanks - I have heard of Ghost saddles so will add to list to try. Setzi absolutely wrong for my horse sadly. Would be like stuffing a man's size 12 foot into a dainty woman's stiletto!
    • Posted

oh dear

sorry to hear that particular method didn't work. Are you back to the drawing board?

• Posted

Just in case my previous post doesn't get approved (it contained a link to the product I was recommended), I will state here again:  I have been recommended to try these pads by a fellow rider.  They are for use with pressure ulcers in bony areas like the sacrum or heel, but come in pad form which can be cut to size and used with creams for LS sufferers.  They are called Aderma dermal pads and appear to be available on prescription only.  I am hoping to get some, try them and will update again. 

• Posted

I know I'm not allowed to mention product names here but there's a new range of creams available for the sporting ladies among us, aimed at cyclists etc. There's what is called "an intimate protection barrier cream" to be used during exercise and a recovery serum. I've tried the barrier cream and it seems to help when riding. it's available at the main high street chemist in England and Ireland.

I'm now riding with (a) tight cotton underwear to hold everything tucked up and in place and also to avoid wrinkles (so painful!), (b) cycling underwear on top, and (c) the barrier cream. So no problem getting ready for a ride then! As long as I don't have a fall and end up in hospital......Actually nothing shows under black breeches and the total combination makes riding twice a week possible again.

• Posted

This is an interesting thread. Hope its still going. I'm looking for any advice to stay in the sadle. Do participants here think it will be possible?
    • Posted

Hi.  Just realised I hadn't popped back to give an update on the pads.  They are for use with pressure ulcers for bony areas and come in different shapes and sizes.  However, they are expensive and cost about £12 a pad.  Good news is they are washable in warm water.   I have to say that my lovely GP prescribed two of them for me - I use lots of hydromol cream, then put a pad in the area where a panty liner would go inside my  comfy pair of cotton dressage riding underpants, well fitting jods over the top and honestly I haven't had an ounce of pain when riding since!  Still looking into alternative saddles but that's more to do with horse rather than myself.  I cannot recommend these highly enough.  Ask your GP!

• Posted

That is amazing! Thanks so much for the tip. What are these pads called please?
    • Posted

Not sure if admin allows me to say but they are called dermal pads for pressure ulcers. Google and let me know. Also use the term aderma.
    • Posted

THAT LAST TERM  GOT ME STRAIGHT THERE! MANY THANKS.

How is your riding going?

• Posted

Hi April.Wild, did you try the ulcer pads and did they work for you? I am about to give up my beloved OTTB, which is breaking my heart, but I worry that riding is going to worsen the condition beyond any chance of even a partial recovery. thanks!
  • Posted

Hi there, I am in the same circumstance...heartbreaking.  But looking at setzisaddles as an alternative.  Best of luck!

karen

• Posted

Just a quick update - I am now riding 4 times a week using the ulcer pads and hydromol. No pain whatsoever. Really worth trying before changing saddles! 😀
    • Posted

Does anyone know where I can buy the ulcer pads from Sweden? I have tried to google for a vendor and I am willing to pay the price privately but I do not know how. They do not seem to be available up here unfortunately. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.