Hospital appt

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. Got my first appt with rheumatology on Thursday. Bit nervous. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Thanks in advance x 

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you already gotten a diagnosis? Or is this to be diagnosed with possible fibro ? 
  • Posted

Don't be nervous! It depends what tests/appointments you've already had. They'll want all the history, details of symptoms, how long etc. might be useful to take a list because if you're like me you'll forget once you get there! They'll do weight, height etc. They may do some tests on your reflexes, check your range of movement and check your pressure points. Finally they may refer you for further tests, arrange physio. 

Make sure you list everything you want to tell them, even if it seem silly. Also make sure you ask everything you want to - appointments with rheumatologists are often hard to come by so make sure you get everything you need.

It will be fine- good luck :-) 

• Posted

My doctor has said fibro & possibly rheumatoid arthritis but wants it confirming. Thanks for the info it's just so scary x 
    • Posted

I know it's terrifying- I was in your situation not long ago. For Fibro they will be able to get a good idea tomorrow by examining your reflexes and pressure points. They will also check for numbness. If they are concerned about RA they may send you for blood tests and/or an MRI but they might not think that's necessary. 

It's terrifying, but trust me, you will feel better when you know what you're dealing with. 

Be brave, you'll be fine :-) 

• Posted

I'm seeing the rheumatologist for the first time next Tuesday and I feel the same, I'm nervous but also hoping that a confirmed diagnoses will help. I'm really struggling at the moment, I'm constantly exhausted so much so that my home life is fairly non-existing. Once I get in from work its tea then bed. I know a diagnoses won't make that any better but at least I will have aproper reason for it.
    • Posted

I hope it goes well for you next week. For me, the scariest part was not knowing what was making me feel so ill. The hospital appointments aren't always pleasant, but now I know what I'm dealing with it's far less scary.  

Take care and look after yourself :-) 

• Posted

I'm the same. Hope your appointment goes well. I'll let you know what happens on Thursday then you'll know what to expect xx 
    • Posted

thanks chick, hope all goes well for you. May be the start of seeing some light at the end of the tunnel?,?!
    • Posted

Hi Crazy.  Had my appt yesterday and have to say the doctor was lovely. We just had a chat and she examined me. Did the trigger point test. Honestly it's nothing to worth about it xx 
    • Posted

Did she give you any results or idea of what's going on or do you have t go back to your GP for that?

im glad it wasn't traumatic for you, makes me feel a bit easier about going.

thanks for remembering and getting back to me xxx

• Posted

I've got a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and need to have more tests for rheumatoid arthritis and vit d deficiency. Also being sent for phsyio and to see a phsycologist for pain management. To be honest it was all over very quickly. I felt a bit overwhelmed and when she said do you have any questions I just said no. I feel better in some ways knowing what's wrong and not feeling like a hypochondriac anymore but in other ways feel a bit lost. Honestly it's nothing to worry about! I was so anxious about it and now I've been I can honestly say I had no reason to be. You will be fine xx let me know how you go on x 
    • Posted

hey, had my appointment today and it went pretty much the same way as yours, the Dr I saw couldn't have been nicer, she was really understanding and when I said about the difficulties of people not believing in FM she said well that's just cuz they are ignorant and don't know!

i have to have physio and see a psychologist and she has recommend I start on duloxetine alongside my other meds just so I can get some quality sleep, she said hopefully that will be a foundation for me to build on.

im feeling so much better now, her words really did help

• Posted

I'm so pleased it went well for you. I really hope the meds work.  I've only been given gabapentin so let me know how yours go. I'm going to be having physiotherapy and psychologist too so we'll have swap notes :-) glad your feeling happier :-))) x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.