Hospital help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm currently on a psychiatric ward. They have stopped all my meds and started me on venlafaxin! I'm terrified all the time, so lonely and homesick. Suppose to be starting a new job Saturday how quickly will tablets work???? Any chance a view days will help????

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I dont know anything about them medication but i hope your ok 😊
  • Posted

In my experience tablets don't work overnight. Loneness is hard so I wish you all the best.
  • Posted

I very much doubt it Cleora, the experts say that sleep, energy and appetire may see  an improvement in one to two weeks, and depressed mood and lack of interest in activities about 6 to 8 weeks.

If I were you I would explain to your ward doctor you concerns about your new job and ask for advice.

They may well suggest phoning your new employer to explain the circumstances, or maybe some other scenario.

If they advise remaining in hospital I would urge you not to discharge yourself beforehand, as this may cause future difficulties in getting readmitted should the need ever arise.

The important thing here is for you to remember is that you are in hospital to get well, and if you rush things you may not do so as quickly as if you remained where you were being cared for.

• Posted

Thank you, it's very hard with my partner telling me I should be home but he can not cope with me like this feeling very torn. Want to make him happy and get well. If I'm not home and ready to start work I'm not sure he'll let me back. The trouble is his too ashamed to tell people I'm ill
    • Posted

The only thing that really matters Cleora is that you have the opportunity to get well.

It is entirely his problem if he is 'ashamed' to tell people that you are ill, and you should not allow his attitde (which I consider to be unreasonable)  to influence you to stop your treatment.

When we are ill Cleora we are ill, and every single person who is ill needs and deserves the opportunity to get well without the silent threat of blackmail hanging over our heads.

Originally you said that if you didn't get well he threatened to kick you out, and now that you have taken steps to do just what he wanted you are frightened that he will still kick you out.

What kind of man is this? 

• Posted

A very broken one who has been through months of hell trying to do everything is his power to make me well. Just sadly he has reached breaking point and does not understand mental illness. I've been ill for half the length of our relationship. My family tell me that he asks for nothing but my happiness and it's true hence being so torn
    • Posted

Though I do see your point he sees this as a step too far as something awful happened for me to end up here
    • Posted

Yes I can understand that, so he should be very pleased that you are at last getting some professional treatment for your illness, and therefore there should be no need for you to worry that he will kick you out if you are doing your best, which you are.

I went through a similar situation many years ago, and I too was a wreck at the time, so I do understand things from a mans perspective. Things started to improve for both us when my wife finally got some medical help.

As I have said previously Cleora, you really do need to concentrate on getting yourself well again without worrying too much ablout those about you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.