Hospital letter

Posted , 2 users are following.

i.ve received a letter from the hospital telling me my oesphagus is very inflamed I was told at my endoscopy I had Barretts but this letter doesn't mention it I.m confused does inflammation mean  I have Barretts or not does anyone know ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My letter was also worded very strangely but it did have Barrett's in parentheses on mine. Dies it say you have any cell changes and does it mention dysplasia?

• Posted

After the endoscope I was told I had Barretts and an ulcer they also took a lot of biopsies . Now this letter has arrived five weeks later that says the biopsies are benign  there is no mention of an ulcer it just says inflammation so I,m confused. I have to go back in n February for another endoscope and hoping I can get some answers . 
  • Posted

Another one so soon? I'm guessing that's to follow up the ulcer. When did you receive the letter??

• Posted

Only received the letter today I was told at the first endoscope I would need another to check on if the ulcer has healed.
    • Posted

I see hopefully you get answers at that appointment.
  • Posted

Simply put: you had inflammation. The inflammation made it look like you had certain cell types too high in your esophagus. So they suspected Barrett’s. In fact, in some cases, this was enough to call it Barrett’s.  

But here’s the ting: turns out that the only reason people care about Barrett’s is because of its association with an increased chance of cancer. And that only increases when the new cells are intestinal metaplasia. That is, when there’s goblet cells, which they can only see through a microsope. 

Your biopsies probably didn’t show any goblet cells, so the metaplasia wasn’t intestinal. 

Intestinal metaplasia = Barrett’s. 

No intestinal metaplasia = No Barrett’s. 

Your follow up may show something different, or it may not. Chances are they’ll re-biopsy again, but it sounds like you’re probably in the clear. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.