hospitalized for anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Okay so the other night I woke up to my heart pounding it felt like it was skipping a beat and I started to feel like I couldn't breathe but I was and It started to get worse and worse so I called the hospital and was taken by ambulance once I got there they took EKGs and hooked me up to all the machines my heart rate was 152 they took my blood and gave me and IV and chest xray everything came back normal except my potassium was low so they gave me some potassium and sent me on my way, my regular doctor sent me to get an ultrasound of my leg to check for clots and theye came back clean I still have one more round of labs to do but I'm still freaking out that I'm going to die  and they say it's anxiety and it probably is but as much as I tell my self that u still am freaking out that it's something worse and they missed something 😿 any advice I need some help I'm going crazy guys 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It's sounds more like a panic disorder than just anxiety. Anxiety can build to panic and panic can lead to the same symptoms you had. Increased heart rate, inability to breath, chest pain, dizziness, feeling like you might die, inability to think straight.

there are other symptoms. Some people have burning in hands and feet.

i think the only other thing to check would be your thyroid, in case it's  over active but other than that, it sounds very much like panic disorder.

you can get it under control and many people have the same thing. Caused by stress and it builds until the body is overwhelmed. I think most doctors say that adrenaline is the major culprit which is a hormone that is released when we need to high tail it out of a situation. So it does have a major physical component ....it's just that the adrenaline is being tripped and it's not an emergency.

try some talk therapy....find out where the stress is coming from. Sometimes meds help but physical exercise might be the best option as it, disappates the stress hormones.

good luck happy holidays hope u feel better...

• Posted

Hey rose ... You mentioned burning in hands and feet. I suffer from health anxiety of a heart disease. I have consulted cardiologists due to all kinds of symptoms but after ECG s and Echo's they concluded it to be anxiety. And know I believe in them but still the symptoms bother me.

I understood all other symptoms but recently I had this burning sensation in my right palm and right feet. So I just wanted to ask you about anything you know which relates them to anxiety. 

Waiting for your valuable reply .... Thnx

• Posted

Yeah, anxiety can cause all kinds of symptoms. Burning in hands and feet and also stiffness in hands. Anxiety most always has physical components. 

What we fear we usually attract. Our minds put emphasis on something and it makes it bigger. Sometimes we aren't even aware of our thoughts, that produce anxiety, then we get hit with a panic attack, with all kinds of physical symptoms, different for each person. Now that you know you have this, it'll get better because you can say to yourself, oh it's a panic attack, it will be gone soon, nothing bad will happen.

i hope your feeling better, and your anxiety is down to a manageable amount.

• Posted

Thnx rose ... I am doing quite fine against my anxiety.
  • Posted

Sounds like you are based in the USA. I Agree that it is worth getting the TFTs done. If they did the ECG while you were still running at 152 pulse then they would have seen if it is a heart problem. So it does sound like a panic attack. CBT can be very helpful. Can you get that where you live? Sometimes symptoms can be controlled with a drug called a beta blocker-oldest and cheapest is propranonolol- often in low dose eg 10mg there times per day ( unless you are also asthmatic). If you get a lot of attacks then SSRIs can help.
    • Posted

I'm supposed to be on zoloft but I'm afraid to take the me dice because I'm worried about side affects and I know if I took them I would feel much better than I do but taking medication gives me anxiety. My doctor and my therapist said I have to take it or they're going to stop seeing me. So I have started taking them on Tuesday 
    • Posted

Stephanie, if you had diabetes would you still not take the insulin because the thought made you anxious? 

The zoloft will help your anxiety and with continued support with therapy you will finally not need to take Zoloft. 

If the side effects are troublesome then you will have a reason not to take them and discuss it with your GP. 

• Posted

Your doctor and your therapist sound like children. They won't play unless you go by their  rules. Why don't they just accept you the way you are, after all it's the goal in life to have self acceptance. Maybe time for a change of doctors.
  • Posted

Oh sweetie, this sound just like me in the beginning of my anxiety. It is the scariest feeling ever. I can relate to it.  I always am afraid they missed something too. But they never do. You're not crazy! Crazy people don't know their crazy 😜. It's snxiety as scary as it is. You're goingf to be okay. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.