Hospitalized with Acute Pancreatitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been home for a week now after being rushed to the hospital by ambulance and getting a diagnosis of Acute Pancreatitis. I was deathly ill with pain shooting constantly in the upper middle of my chest, horrible pain, and radiating into the back both sides and then vomiting bile. They put me on an IV, started administering anti-nausea, antibiotics, and pain meds intraveineously and then drew blood. While I waited for the blood tests to come back, I had been puking until they got the saline solution started and the anti nausea meds starting through my system so I was quiet ill for a while until the treatment started. When the tests came back, the Dr came and told me that I had Acute Pancreatitis and had to be admitted to the hospital. I was so sick all night even with the anti nausea but it did help, I didnt throw up anymore and the pain was subsiding. I had to leave the next day though because I had no one to feed and water my dog and he didnt have enough to last him for however long they would keep me so I left to go put out lots of water and food for him and then went back to the hospital later on that evening to see if I would be ok as they had told me I was leaving against medical advice and it wasnt good I did that, I had no choice but I did go back and they started another saline solution with the anti nausea and pain meds and took the blood again to see where the lipase levels were from before. Because they had given me 2 nice size bags of antibiotics intraveinously and got to this in time, my lipase levels were down and after a few hours they said I was ok to go home, that was a relief but I am scared now with everything Im reading about this stuff. I am not a drinker, have not touched a dink since 2013 and the CT scan they did showed no Gall stones so this falls under the ideopathic category I guess. Anyway, today I was finally able to eat decentily, a little tuna on whole wheat bread, some gatorade, soy milk, and blueberries and I didnt get nauseas, but I haven had a bowel movement since last Thursday, a week ago when I had this attack....and Im still quiet weak. When does one start feeling better from this stuff? And what would be best med or formula to take to help bm?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joanna I'm sorry you have Acute Pancreatitis. You've done some reading so will have an understanding of how serious this can be.  Hopefully you have a good doctor monitoring you.  If you manage this attack you may not have another if you're careful, don't ignore what you've learned you don't want Chronic Pancreatitis.

Recovery can take some time so take it easy, eat smaller meals than usual, low fat, keep your fluids up, no alcohol.  If you have digestive issues get some digestive enzymes they will help discomfort.

My bowels shut down every now and then and I take a product called 'Macrogol with electrolytes' 3-4 times a day which was prescribed by my gastroenterologist. It's extremely gentle, no pain, no running to the loo.  Can be bought over the counter. 

• Posted

Thanks so much for your comment. Yes I am watching what I eat now closely and will be seeing my Gastro soon. Thankyou for the tips on the Enzymes as well and the Macrogot. I feel I do need something because it feels like my digestion is slow. Best of wishes for your own struggle with this, it is the worst thing I have experienced in my life and hope I get stronger soon.
    • Posted

Joanna,

My husband was admitted to the hospital on May 27th for ten days after suffering an attack of acute pancreatitis the previous evening.  His abdomen was so swollen and inflammed and his organs were shutting down.  IV fluid only and morphine every four hours for 8 days and then he tried eating soup.  He didn't feel hungry at all.  When he came home on June 6th his energy level was almost non existant, he had lost 28 lbs and I had to force him to eat every three hours. He starts each morning drinking 24 fl oz of filtered water and when he needs anyting to help his bowels he drinks prune juice.   Alcohol, fatty foods, pork products and all non gluten foods are out of his diet now.  I was told to get a Champion Juicer and to make a juice from 6-8 vegetables along with a couple of apples and he was to drink 24 fl oz twice a week and take a digestive enzyme every time he ate anything.  By the end of June his pancreatitic enzyme count was normal and his hemaglobin had gone from 104 to 129.  His normal count was 155.

Two weeks back he starting swimming and working out at the YMCA to help rebuild the  muscles that he lost.  

John told me that he felt like he was having a heart attack and that his chest was in a vice.  He can put up with a lot of pain but attack had him crying.  He will stick to a restricted diet in order to never go through this again.  I sincerely hope that you get your health back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.