Hot / cold stimulation

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi,

I've been advised to apply hot and then cold to my affected foot to get it used to normal stimuli.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I've been using a warm hot water bottle and then a chilled flannel.

But i'm not sure how long to apply each one for!!.??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i have not heard of this before, in fact i was told not to put cold on my affected leg because the cold is too much for the nerves and will irritate them way too much.

I started by using a soap in the shower that has some texture to it. (oatmeal, flowers)

once i was "ok" with that, i graduated to a washcloth, the lotion after the shower these are normal activities- its something you do probably without thinking about them.

• Posted

thanks Rachel,

i am trying to desensitise the nerve as Lisavila has mentioned below.

my understanding is that in CRPS the nerves are not behaving normally, therefore to encourage them to behave properly we have to expose them to as much normal stimuli as possible. i.e. hot then cold, different textures.

But i guess this is different in individual cases. I had to go easy with walking for a few days initially as my physio said the nerve needed to rest, because i had developed a bad limp, ....but since then i've been able to work at desensitising.

• Posted

Hi Louise - there are several ways to desensitize your foot. I've used a bucket of cold water and a bucket of warm water (whatever heat you can handle). Immerse foot in one bucket for one minute, then the other for another minute, and so on... I would do this 2 times/day. With time try to increase the duration of immersion.Another way to desensitize foot is to rub foot different textures - start with one fabric that is soft and then increase to rougher textures as time goes on. You can also go on youtube to learn more about this and other methods of desensitization. I hope this is helpful to you!

• Posted

ah! The water bucket immersion is a good idea.

thankyou 😃

• Posted

10 mins on 10 mins off then 10 mins on

alternate, also a nice hot shower helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.