Hot flashes

Posted , 2 users are following.

Looking for some help, my girlfriend has reynaulds so she can't take any estrogen according to her doctors. She has about 20 hot flashes a day, I'm not kidding. She is so miserable. Has anyone encountered this before? If so what did you do to help with the hot flashes. I feel so bad for her that I'm researching everything I can but I can't find anything to help her. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have Raynauds and was diagnosed in 1990. Did your girlfriends doctor tell her why she can't take estrogen? His doctor a Rheumatologist? I was never told years ago to stop. I wore an estrogen patch. I know treatment has changed over the years but I have never heard of this. Also, how old is your girlfriend and when was she diagnosed? I'm not a doctor but don't understand why. Let me know ok?

Kristyk

• Posted

Thank you, she was 49, she was told that the estrogen would cause her Reynaulds to get worse. Yes she is a rheumatologist, she also has early signs of serladerma. I don't have a lot of faith in this doctor she's been dealing with it for two years. It's like she's telling her you can have inflamed reynaulds or extreme hot flashes. Not a happy camper. She's the type of person that anything that comes out of the mouth of a doctor is made of gold. Anytime it get cooler her hands turn white..

• Posted

It is such a frustrating disease. Not all doctors have all the answers for sure. They only practice medicine.. I was told that I was developing scleroderma by two doctors. Was scared to death. I didn't then and don't now. She probably has another autoimmune disease. That's usually how it works. I have Raynauds, Lupus, Sjogrens, Fibro plus other disorders. Depression goes with these problems. It's a downr for sure. Tell her to rest, not over do it, stay out of sun, away from chemicals like cleaning agents. Keep hydrated and listen to her body. She knows what its saying like get sleep. Stay warm when cold. It's important. Damage can happen if we get too cold for over 30 minutes. When my fingers freeze I just run under hot water in sick to thaw me out. It seems to be the only thing that works. Wear gloves even when shopping in freezer isle in grocery store. It can start a flare so quickly. Again best of luck and God Bless.

Kristyk

• Posted

Hi, It's Kristy k again. Why can't she take a bioidentical hormone? That would maybe be an option for her. I know estrogen has been said to be a vasodilator and also a vasoconstrictor. It is confusing to say the least. Sorry after I responded to your post, I remembered the issue with hormones. I have a friend who also has Raynauds and takes a bioidentical and doesn't suffer hot flashes or any menopausal problems. She swares by it.

Good luck and God Bless you both.

Kristyk

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I will pass these things along to her. Thanks joe

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.