Hot Flashes & Fluorescent Lighting

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok ladies, this is a weird one, i know...but do any of you get hot flashes especially when you are in a store that has florescent lighting? This seems to happen to me everytime i go to a store like Cost Plus World Market, Costco, Marshalls etc & the only common denominator is the lighting - maybe its gods way of saying...Dont shop anymore - hah!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

im alittle different the florescent lights makes my dizzinesa worse no hot flash but it seems many of us is effected by florescent lights i hate going to Walmart or any store fir that matter. im homebound unless i absolutely have to go out stores florescent lights i dint understand what the connection is to all this hormonal stuff but its just bizarre and ridiculous.

• Posted

yes, pamela, i also feel a bit dizzy & almost feel like i am going toget an ocular migraine coupled with a "hot flash" - ugh!

• Posted

I bet the light is sending your brain a signal to readjust your internal thermostat.That coupled with all of the other people and the exertion from shopping those major sales. Shopping is a good source of exercise so you definitely shouldn't stop:)

I hear having ice water helps. There should be a vest that has pockets for ice packs!

• Posted

marinab - thats a genius idea - i can generally calm a hot flash/flush in the middle of the night just by putting a cold wash cloth on the back of my neck, & forehead and drinking a cold glass of water - it would be ideal to travel with something like that -

• Posted

hey Debra, that usually happens to me. You have to watch the material you wear because it will instigate a hot flash, polyester, spandex, Lycra wool. any mixture of those will do it. And if you’re at Marshall’s or anywhere that carries clothes, if you think of all the clothes beong made of those materials, and the lights on them, it’s like toxic central. and then on top of it people spraying perfumes or spraying other products, it’s all toxins ! That may sound crazy, but it makes sense to me 😉 we just can’t catch a break anywhere, not even shopping !

• Posted

******I do not find it weird at all. It used to happen to me all the time and it also caused anxiety and a overall sick feeling. I also go horrible migraines. You may want to invest **in a pair of glasses that block out fluorescent lighting.

You may want to buy a pair of glasses (Wal-Mart has them. Called Solar Shield.

They are

UVA/UVB protection and are polarized.

Mine was so bad I had to leave groceries in cart and leave store and have my sons shop.

My doctor said he never heard about lightening and hot flashes, he said anything is possible. The glasses do work. You can also check out Thera Specs. Costly but worth it.

Good luck.

• Posted

******I do not find it weird at all. It used to happen to me all the time and it also caused anxiety and a overall sick feeling. I also go horrible migraines. You may want to invest **in a pair of glasses that block out fluorescent lighting.

You may want to buy a pair of glasses (Wal-Mart has them. Called Solar Shield.

They are

UVA/UVB protection and are polarized.

Mine was so bad I had to leave groceries in cart and leave store and have my sons shop.

My doctor said he never heard about lightening and hot flashes, he said anything is possible. The glasses do work. You can also check out Thera Specs. Costly but worth it.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.