Hot flashes with low blood sugar?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I have been on this forum for some time (three years post menopause) normally trying to answer others with their symptoms but now I aeem to be experiencing hot flashes again but with what feels like low blood sugar feeling. They seem to be coming together and wonder if others experience this? I have had the flashes in the past but thankfully on their own and some time ago. I would like it if one of you lovely ladies could let me know if you have experienced both x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes both!  I go haead and quickly eat and it gets better!  I have suffered low blood sugar since my very first child and have 8 now and still I suffer with it!
    • Posted

Oh thanks for your reply, I have had the hot flashes before but not the two together x
  • Posted

Hi I was wondering if you can describe what it feels like when this happens? Thanks!
    • Posted

Hello Tina, yes I suddenly feel internally hot (not particularly sweating) but a rush of heat inside and it feels like you suddenly feel hungry and sort of weak and need to eat something, I have both before in the past but not together.
  • Posted

Hi pinkcatfairy - hi, I am post menopausal 6 years, but only starting experiencing menopause symptoms about 3 years ago - just recently I have been experiencing weird blood sugar episodes.  My fasting glucose is a elevated @ 113 (never had an issue before) & just last night I had a scoop of ice cream (trying to not eat sugar as of late) & my heart went nuts with palpitations, had flushing & couldnt calm myself down to go to sleep - it’s like the sugar brought on a hot flash/flush - Ugh!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, yes it sounds like the ice cream brought it on, I think with me it was a large cup of tea, the caffeine before has caused them but without the sugar dip x
  • Posted

Thanks pinkcatfairy for the description!  It does sound similar to what I have been experiencing for the last few months.  I have been trying to cut down on my caffeine intake but it is so hard!  I try to water my coffee down somewhat but it doesn't really help.  #1 it tastes like sh*t (LOL) and #2 it doesn't help with the heart palpitations.  I just need to really cut it out altogether.

When I have these episodes I feel my cheeks kind of getting tingly and flushed (but externally when I look in the mirror I don't see my cheeks flushed).  I then get kind of woozy and light headed.

• Posted

Yes I had to go on decaffeinated coffee in early peri as I felt like my head would explode! It use to make me feel very nervy and had a couple of really bad panic attacks but then I could drink it again after a while. The trouble is with menopause anything can happen anytime and now I'm experiencing these internal hot flashes and low Sugar! The strange thing is , I can sometimes drink the tea/coffee without any x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.