HOT FLUSHES AFTER TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY, NO OVARIES

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am aged 48, Its been nearly 3 months since I had total hysterectomy with everything removed except lymph nodes. I am therefore in menopause. I was having hot flushes and night sweats before I had op and these seemed to be controlled taking agnus castus herbal tablets. Now since the op these herbal tablets don't seem to be having same affect. I am guessing because I don't have ovaries the agnus castus doesn't work. Can anyone tell me how they cope with hot flushes since total hysterectomy. They seem to be every hour or so only lasting a few minutes, but I get incredibly hot and sweat and they are disrupting my sleep at night. I don't want to take HRT. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lou

Its been nearly 4 months since my TAH with everything removed. My hot flushes were horrendous before my op and my sleep patterns even worse. I am on HRT and feel much better. The hot sweats have been reduced significantly but my sleep problems are still the same. I get on average four hours sleep a night if I'm lucky. I'm much happier and more stable with my hormones on HRT and ive not had any scares or side effects.

• Posted

HRT and Ambien has made a world of difference for me. I'm sleeping 4 hours straight, then waking up maybe twice in the next 4 hours. That is more sleep than I have gotten in years and the difference has been huge for me. I have more energy than ever.

• Posted

Hi Lou38,

Am I right in thinking you had a cancer diagnosis, as you say your lymph nodes were not removed? It's possible you may not be able to take HRT, I was unable to go on HRT for this reason, have you tried to have a fan running in your bedroom at night? it may help, are there other herbal supplements you could try?

• Posted

Hi thanks for all your replies. Because I had what they first called a large unknown mucanous tumour probably not benign they treated it as if it was possibly cancer. It urned out to be a 45cm ovarian cyst that had pushed into my abdomen area. I looked pregnant, first consultant thought I may be pregnant. My uterus was also 5 times bigger they said. They told me they would remove everything and if they thought necessary in the op, remove the lymph bits. But turns out they were happy with what they removed and when saw consultant 3 wks later he said they are really happy and result was stage 1 grade a pre cancerous cyst, the lowest possible and he said no further treatment required and there was a 2% chance in 25 years time of something occurring so not to worry and all is fine. So best Xmas present we got this year! So I don't know if that means I had cancer or it would have developed into cancer. I didn't ask, I was too happy! Anyway, back to original post, I did sleep better last night, not sure if coincidence but I only woke twice and didn't get as hot. Maybe my body is starting to adjust. Consultant did say my body will naturally adjust. I will keep you posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.