Hot Flushes Like Never Before !

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi ladies. I'll be 50 in 2 weeks and have never felt so rough. I've had peri symptoms for about 5 years, a few hot flushes a day, about one a night with erratic sleep patterns, irregular periods, the odd bit of nausea etc etc. I've been thinking to myself that it's ok. If it doesn't get any worse, I can cope with it, but for about a month now, the hot flashes are almost constant, day and night. Woke up this morning feeling very nauseous. Went to work and my boss sent me home! That's never happened. I can usually manage, but not today. Trying to give up alcohol completely while going through menopause but it's hard. But whether I drink or not, the hot flushes have become unbearable. I have a docs appointment next Monday and, for the first time, I'm considering asking for HRT. But I don't want to get dependent on it. My friend is 65 and still takes it and every time she tries to stop, she has panic attacks and hot flushes so goes back on it. What are the best types of HRT? Advice appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lara I was taking HRT Prepak it did help but I bleed a little bit and stop it as um nearing menopause I was scared it will make me bleed more and what it can cause I'm on a low dose everyone is different taking it,you can try entirely up to you just to see how you feel OK.
    • Posted

Thanks Maria. It'll be interesting to see what HRT I am offered\recommended.
  • Posted

Hi Lara,

Mine got worse as time went on. I didn't have hot flushes but just hot all the time 2 years post and I was just boiling 24/7.

I'm on HRT and it stopped it within a week, I didn't fancy the idea of horse urine (HRT beginning with "pre" eg premarin or prempac) so I asked for a bio identical. The one I'm on (oestrogel and Utrogestan) is made with yams or soy.

It stopped the nausea and anxiety and depression.

I don't intend to come off it until I absolutely must!

• Posted

Hi Lara, it does depend - your Dr is the best person to advise you of which is better for you. They are likely yo do a blood test to see where you are hormone wise. I had a hysterectomy everything taken, so I have oestrogen only. It is all trial & error to find out which one agrees and works for you.
  • Posted

I was on the Combipatch, but stopped taking them. Seriously thinking of going back on them, since the hot flashes and dizziness have returned. I may need to up my dose though. 
  • Posted

Hi lara66 i had a full hysterectomy 6 months ago an i went on hrt 2mg an i have been so ill . I went back the hospital 5 weeks ago an she took me of them an gave me 1mg jell . An it has made no diffrence i am still havin bad migraines an vomitin..So today i decided am not taken them now .But i realy dont no what to do. Am in the doctors evey week . Take care x
    • Posted

Any hormone replacement is contraindicated in migrainers, and breast cancer.  if you are a migrainer, you shd not be on HRT. It will make them worse! What is your main issue - why did you go on HRT if you dn't mind me asking?
    • Posted

Hi tracy i went on hrt back in january because i had a full hysterectomy. So i went straight into menoupause overnight so i has been a big shock to me i have never felt so ill xx
    • Posted

I am really sorry. Life sucks when we feel so sick.  Give the anti histamines a try if you want to, as they work for quite a few people.  We have a menopause' expert' doctor that my friend went to, and she told her that tip.  My hot flushes have subsided by themselves.  Could be the diet I am on for migraines, or could be a lull in the mountain of other issues going on for me with menopause.  We will get there eventually!!
  • Posted

Try taking an anti hystamine for a couple of weeks.  This can subdue them heaps in most people, and better than HRT. 
  • Posted

Hi lara sorry you are having such a bad time, i was just like you with the hot flushes then i started 250 mg sage pills after 5 days the hot flushes redused now 3 months on i dont have any, im staying on the sage its helped me maybe it will help you. Just make sure you take the 250 mg strong ones the weaker ones did not work for me good luck  take care 

karen x

• Posted

Hi Lara, HRT doesn't work on everyone, my symptoms got worse, so the doctor put me low dose birth control pills, which helped relieve me of all symptoms. After a year I went off of them and got the worse hot flushes ever, including anxiety so I went all natural, with St. John's wort and Macca. Both have a proven track record to work on peri/menopause symptoms. For nausea drink mint tea, or eat peppermint candy. Reconsider your options on HRT, it's all trial & error when dealing with the change of life cycle we're going through. Best of luck.
  • Posted

Hello Lara, I am sorry to see you are suffering. It sounds to me that you may have something called Fibromyalgia. A lot of your symptoms match up. Might be something you could look into. Hope you figure things out. Best wishes
    • Posted

I suffer from fibromyalgia and her symptoms are far it. Re-read her post it says she suffers from hot flashes and nausea which are very common symptoms of perimenopause.
    • Posted

just looking at some of her other posts in her history as well, i sort of posted it out of context. but yeah you are probably right, probably not good of me to just throw diagnoses at people irresponsibly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.