Hot Flushes, Rogue Hairs and General Symptoms

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been having Hot Flushes now for approximately 8 months.  I can have quite a few each day and during the night.  They are not particularly pleasant either.  Also I have a rogues hair which is the consistency of a pubic hair which grows under my chin.  Just one and it can grow very long in a matter of days.  I keep shaving it to get rid but it grows back every so often.  My periods are also very irregular now.  Recently I haven't had one for 3 months then I had one for 10 days (very heavy) with a weeks spotting then another 10 days of bleeding.  I'm 54 and suffer with severe health anxiety also.  I find my boobs get very tender and I sometimes get little sharp pains in them and I feel bloated as well.  Is this pretty normal for Menopause and if so Is this it in full swing now?  Any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Craftylady, I had those long chin hairs on mine I pull them out with twizers all part of growing old...I'm the same age as you been through the missing the spotting and heavy bleeding...you sound like your in full swing, how long have you been going this, it does get better with time I'm afraid there is no quick fix to this roller coaster ride, do what you can to get through it and as time passes you will find it will ease ok.

• Posted

Glad to hear I'm not the only one Maria.  I have had the rogue chin hair for about 4 years.  The spotting, missing and heavy bleeding for about a year now and the flushes about 8 months.  I tried plucking the hair but it's quite thick and very painful so I couldn't actually do it......  

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

• Posted

Its normal your fine its easier said but trust me it will pass your not alone ive been there thanking god most if my symptoms have passed but some still peak im not 100% out of tge woods but i can honestly say ive come a long ways and i give many thanks to the awesome ladies on this site they have been more than a blessing to me
  • Posted

Hi there Crafty Lady,

Everything you described is exactly what I experienced in early perimenopause.  So these symptoms came sooner than later for me, but I continued periods for another ten years.  

The things you are describing are often created by a lack of progesterone.  Sore breasts (lack of progesterone in relation to estrogen)  heavy bleeding for ten days (lack of progesterone)  A wild chin hair that won't quit (testosterone stimulation overshadowing your estradiol, and of course what helps the body rid itself of the extra testo, yep, progesterone)  What happens  during this change is we can still produce estrogen and testosterone, however we rarely ovulate which produces our high levels of progesterone i the second half of the cycle.  

As far as the anxiety, our adrenal glands attempt to help out when our sex steriods change.  Those are the fight or flight hormones, so go figure, they are over producing and causing those uneasy feelings you are experiencing.   Not a lot of fun is it?

Hope this explanation helps.  I always felt it helped if I knew what the biology was that was causing these horrible symptoms.  

• Posted

gailannie.  great explanation!  from what you have read do you think that fitting a mirena coil would help with these symptoms, because of the progesterone effect?  This has been suggested to me and I have been reluctant and instead tried to discuss using natural progesterone cream, but as you know they (the medical people) do not promote this at all.  If the cream did the same job as the mirena coil, I would go with that.  What do you think?
    • Posted

The coil is a synthetic progesterone, called a "progestin".   Some women like it, others don't do so well.  

It sounds like you would prefer to try some progesterone cream to see if it helps.  You can buy it over the counter in most health food/vitamin stores. If you try it, I would recommend starting with a very small amount, and then work up. Don't over due it.   Some woman use it morning and night for 14 days right before their period is scheduled.  When the progesterone level drops, then they have a period.  Estrogen stimulates a uterine lining to grow and progesterone sluffs it off.  

Sorry I can't be more help with this decision, but every woman is so different.  All you can do is try and see what feels right for your body.  It would be a blessing to take away the sore breasts!  

• Posted

Very comprehensive and helpful answer thank you.  I will research hormones now and see if I can do anything to ease it.
    • Posted

Hi metamorphed,

I was diagnosed with having perimenopause back in 2013 and had a Mirena coil fitted after having a D & C... the Mirena did stop the heavy periods but I found that I soon developed other peri symptoms, anxiety, skin conditions, nausea, headaches etc at the moment I am still having "periods" lately 3 weeks on & off then stop for a few days, bleed for a day, stops for another 4 or so days then start bleeding again... I have gone 3 months with nothing but that was last year....

• Posted

hi anna

so, the mirena did not really help with anything else really?  and your period at the moment sounds like mine, 2 weeks constant, then stop, then another two weeks spotting, stop.  I also had a gap of 3 months with nothing in 2015, but still having them this year and lately the prolonged ones.  I have gone off the idea of the mirena, its been 21 days since my last period, so waiting to see what the next one will be like...

• Posted

Hi there - poor ladysad

I too have those darn hairs, please never shave they seem to magically duplicate or become more noticeable on their return.

Pluck them or use a hair depilatory creme (Gental one for faces about $5) Last much longer tha shaving toosmile

If you can take HRT give it a go, life is almost normal again, and some days it is just awesome. Haven't said that for a very long time.

Keep us posted?

Loui x 

• Posted

Can any of you tell me if when you have Hot Flushes do you actually physically perspire?  I find my forehead perspires as well as my upper chest area.  It's horrible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.