Hot or cold what’s the best

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi shoulder warriors

can you help me here. whats the best in your opinion as all you lot have suffered badly.

me i had frozen since dec 18. nailed that through hydro dilation in july last year.

in sept i developed a pain again in the other shoulder ( dominant ).

thought here we go again. shoulder fell apart dec last after steroid jab.

had hydro dilation done thinking its the same. in jan just passed. ho no pain has never left. even after the procedure.

with frozen hot long baths helped ease the pain. after a MRI i have a partial tear to the supraspinatus tendon and a bone spur above it. was booked for operation pre C19. awaiting for me call up.

my job is physical as a carpenter and i am really peeving it of for the past few months ( kept that clean ). i keep on really hurting it. yes i dont let it stop me.

of a night its pain killers for ever. that stops working about 4am.

i get home and lay in the bath. its not working for me here with hot.

has any one had success with cold pump pre operation. i have had some one say yes to this. whats the common response on easing the

pain pre operation. of a morning it feels

like i have been stamped on all night.

really getting me down now as its been 17 months since first frozen shoulder episode. now its rolled into another long term p****r.

give me some help here can ya

colin

tired of taking pain killers here

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

colin so sorry you are in so much pain.

I hope they will allow you to have your surgery soon.

I had my surgery three weeks ago, bicep tendonesis, shoulder decompression and shaving of bone spurs.

Before my surgery I was always having pain.

I found ice, Advil and CBD cream were what helped me.

Have you called your doctor to ask what he suggests?

I wish you the best and hope you get that surgery done ASAP.

• Posted

Hi Nancy

i have tried grovelling to the surgeon as C19 took off. i asked for any cancellation or postponement but all elective surgery has been put off until. i have emailed him asking for options with pain. his secretary called back with just pain killers via the doctors.

i have been trying different things but i dont want to take pain relief . to be honest i am getting use to the pain now as its been going on so long.

i will look into the oil locally and try

thanks for the reply

colin

• Posted

Just to clarify I use CBD LOTION, not oil. This way the lotion goes directly on the spots that are so painful. Oil by mouth can take the pain away as well but it works in a different way. I tried it after surgery instead of pain meds but personally, for me, I didnt find it helped as much.

Do try to get a TENS unit, that could help a bit.

Mike suggested the ice machine to me and he is right, it is a huge help.

I am still using it 3 weeks later!

• Posted

Hi Nancy

just on google looking at the lotion lol. is there strengths of lotion or what did you use. picking your brain here sorry.

also sling wise i have seen lots of different styles. dont mind buying me own if its more comfy and secure compared to NHS. aimed at mike as well here.

c

thanks again to you both for replying

• Posted

Hi Colin

the maker of the lotion is ShiKai.

CBD Body lotion. its a light bluish green color and has no scent to it

Hope you can find something that helps.

Shoulder pain is the worst!

• Posted

ho thank you nancy had a really poo week with the joint. was so many online.

will get some this weekend ordered

thanks for your help

if you said put a chicken on your head and run around the garden. would have even tried that.

now thats a whattsapp post lol

stay safe

colin

• Edited

i had frozen since dec 18.

Hi, Colin:

You had a frozen shoulder on one side last year but regained range of motion?

And now your other shoulder is in pain and MRI reveals partial tear to the supraspinatus tendon and a bone spur. But you've also had problems with shoulder before and had injections of steroid and other therapies?

I just want to make sure I understand your condition.

What I find a problem is your work as carpenter as I imagine it involves heavy lifting and activity above shoulder level. You may have to lay off that for several months at least after surgery.

my job is physical as a carpenter and i am really peeving it of for the past few months ( kept that clean ). i keep on really hurting it. yes i dont let it stop me.

I think it finally has stopped you and I would listen carefully to what your surgeon recommends regarding post surgery therapy, exercise and any restrictions on movement, lifting and for how long. I can't say how important this is.

I had a neighbor who I hadn't seen until recently and was surprised to see him with a completely useless left arm. He had injured his shoulder previously many years ago and gone to therapy and I guess recovered somewhat but he obviously had not taken enough care. You don't want to end up disabled and in pain for the rest of your life, believe me.

I've had surgeries on both shoulders. I've been through all therapy and as far as what relieves pain, I found good old ice to be the most effective. An ice machine might work wonders for you now and after your surgery. I also have a Tens unit that did wonders in relieving pain.

But as I said before, you want to heal, regain as much strength and function as possible and stay that way for the rest of your life, even if it means some serious lifestyle/job changes.

After surgery you are going to be as weak as a baby, you'll have trouble doing the most simplest things, this will all play with your head. Persevere, and listen to the doc and therapist. Get well and stay well and pain free.

• Posted

Hi Mike

yes you remember. the left shoulder was frozen up. the hydro dilation worked wonders combined with physio. i was back straight away working and easing back the range of motion.

it took 8 weeks for the right shoulder so start to ache. straight away we thought it was the same condition the way it presented its self.

it was only after going through the mill with injections that they finally did an MRI.

it kind of shook me when he showed the pics of the tear. and the spur.

this was origionally caused by a work place injury. i will be looked after for how ever long it takes. i realise it will be months due to my work.

with a prime example yesterday i had to paint a ceiling . as i pulled the roller sleeve off the frame it kind of popped off after forcing it. arm went sideways and out. so simple action ruined me for the afternoon.

hence putting a post out cold or hot. its kind or relentless at the moment.

its going to be a slow heal and i will not push it. more of a respect to the shoulder

C

• Posted

Just adding to last post Mike. i have been self employed since i was 21 years old. now in me 50's. just by luck i have been paye for the past 27 months. i have thought alot about this as it is evasive to the joint. even the physio back last year said surgery should be the worst case last option. but now quality of life and work it is not going away.

the worst bit is i work for a massive social housing charity. 15000 employed and was told blunt my HR to sue them for costs. and i get sick leave as well. they are behind me all the way !!!. but i have to sue them !!!. get your head around that one.

so i am resided for a long lay off and hard recovery time with no time limit. this is why i have posted on here. like you i need honest opinions and ideas to help

thanks for hi lighting the problems with this. having never been put out in my life i just cannot wait for it to happen due to the pain / ache. even after i hurt it yesterday again today it is such an annoying ache / pain.

and again if another reading this please chip in

C

• Posted

Hi, Colin:

Get a good lawyer and sue. At least you may get some compensation. Who knows, with a good lawyer you may get more than you believed possible...much more.

Regarding your latest injury, I remember my surgeon telling me that overhead motion especially repetitive motion like painting is bad for the shoulder and puts the tendons at risk. I would specifically show your surgeon the types of movements you do ANYTHING like painting, lifting, etc and ask him if it's ok after you are healed and about to be released.

Your surgeon should responsibly tell if there are restrictions and risks that you should be aware of in the future.

Nothing but the best to you Colin my friend.

Mike

• Edited

Hi Colin,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope things will improve very soon.

Like you, I was expecting to go for a MRI scan of my shoulder before 'lockdown', and I was also having physiotherapy, which had been helping to relieve pain etc. The deep tissue massage of muscles helped. But all that stopped 3rd week of March. I have continued with exercises prescribed by physiotherapist, but still in pain, stiffness and with lack of mobility. I don't do anything that involves overhead movement. Hot baths help for a short period, although it's difficult to get out of the bath safely without using left arm. Driving is painful as here we use the gear stick on the left hand side. I'm going to try CBD oil.

I wish you all the best.

Grimm

• Posted

Have you been using ice, a tens unit and biofreeze as well?

• Posted

sounds like my draw for the shoulder add rock tape and rock sauce to it as well and shed loads if pain killers.

i did find sports injury tape kept the whole joint stable. and kind of pinched it in where you grab it due to the ache. just helped the overall feeling.

C

• Posted

have a good lawyer

just for the left shoulder i spent about £2500 on private hospital and physio ( hydro dilation was £650) each time.

which would have been it to the company. but using a lawyer i get that back and up to £8500 for the pain !!

then we have the operation as well

but to be honest i would give anything not to have suffered

c

• Posted

hi grimm

sorry as well to here your at the start of all this rubbish with your shoulder like all of us.

if its your first post please read all the other posts on here as they are quite honest and real. keep on putting up questions. someone on here will have a good answer .

and as mike pointed out to me. i got as far as signing the operation consent forms. google and study the prognosis post operation as its a long painful slog to recover ( i have been told ) . be prepared.

my job is hard and 50% of the time above my head. as normal its friday my shoulder is shot. came straight in and laid down with cold packs on. and your right about the bath. have not been able to lower myself in for months now.

for me friday 4.15 was sports injury clinic time to ease pain and deep muscle massage. now been months since last there. now arms stiff . neck stiff. back sore. even the other shoulder is showing off ( frozen )

hey getting old here "she wants another model that works" indoors. and wants to trade me in for a newer model

stay safe and get well

colin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.