Hot to cold flashes every 30 seconds for a month- lymphoma?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

In late August I began to experience quite aggressive flashes from hot to cold (not menopause as i'm 20!), and initially was not concerned at all thinking it was a virus. However, since then I have become incredibly weak and faint when moving at all, have an odd numb sensation in my head, and the fevers have become constant, when they were originally just at nighttime. This week I also developed a very dry throat as if i hadnt drank for days.

So far i've had 6 blood tests (of which all came back perfect) for various things such as testing my lymph node levels, thyroid, diabetes, C reactive protein test, a chest x-ray (which eradicated theory of having Sarcoidosis) and I am due for an ultrasound of my abdomen and pelvis in the next week or so, and in 6 weeks a full body CT scan.

My doctor believes it could be Lymphoma, although my symptoms could overlap into so many other illnesses I am trying to keep positive, given i'm only young.

I've just dropped out of university due to my health, and so any suggestions would be so very appreciated!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I know you are only 20 but please rule out menopause / menopause symptoms. Have your female hormones tested just to be sure. 
    • Posted

Hi Jenny, thank-you for that suggestion- i've had so many people tell me not to even consider menopause symptoms so I didn't even consider it! 

• Posted

Another thing you can do is to have a TSH blood test ordered to make sure everything is okay with your thyroid to rule anything out there, such as hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.
  • Posted

Hi Kerensa. We do get hot flashes when we have Polycythemia Vera . If you have a high red and or high white count, that is the test for Polycythemia Vera. However, you said they tested your blood, so I guess not. No suggestions .Your doc will have to figure it out. Best of wishes.

harrishill

• Posted

Thank-you for the suggestion, I will definitely suggest it to my doctor in case we've skipped a blood test for high red/white count. Reading up on it there seems to be a lot of correlations with symptoms if nothing else!

• Posted

I don't think it is Lymphoma. I have this. Lymphoma is when your glands (usually on one side) and lymph nodes become very swollen and tender..and stay chronically like this 4 months or longer. I have have had had very enlarged swollen lymph nodes behind my head, under the base of my skull (there is a lymph node back there). A lump in my neck which I had an ultrasound done and it came back that I had two enlarged thyroid nodules that need to have done needle biopsied. I also have an enlarged spleen, a very enlarged lymph node that a surgeon has to remove under my right armpit as it is cancerous.

• Posted

Thank-you Josephine, I was under the impression of this as well, and have been checked for swollen lymph nodes almost weekly to no avail. My doctor, however, felt that perhaps I had Pulmonary Lymphoma, of which affects the lungs and does not swell the lymph nodes. Of course, this theory was reputed by the fact my chest x-ray came back all clear. Guess i'll have to wait for my abdomen and pelvic ultrasound to hopefully shed some light on what I might have!

• Posted

There are lots of things that can cause those symptoms. When you say blood test, have they ever done a blood culture test when you were having a fever. If not you should recommend they do culture, blood and urine during one of your fevers to rule out other infections.
    • Posted

The tricky thing is I go from feverishly hot to shivering cold every 30 seconds or so, so its not possible to do a blood culture test! Also when doctor took my temperature it was relatively normal regardless of the fact I was overheating- wishful thinking it is just an infection and it disappears...
  • Posted

I've now had a CT scan of my thorax, abdomen and pelvis with contrast by strong suggestion of my doctor- and 3 more blood tests to rule out glandular Fever, calcium deficiency, and sarcoidosis. Doctor still thinks there's a slight possibility it's lymphoma as although my lymph nodes have been checked twice by another doctor hes certain there's some swelling going on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.