Hot Tub

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi has anyone gone in the hot tub after TKR post op 

I really want to go  I'm 10 week s post op didn't know if I would swell more

thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I don't see what it should not benefit from a warm massage. I do my exercises after a hot bath and I am not yet 3 weeks post op, so maybe a little bit of bending and streching would do it well. Its hard to know whats right and wrong most of time, but the best advice given to me, is listen your body, and as an dance teacher I can fully understand that. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi,

Congrats on your tkr. I had bilateral tkr this summer and go to pool 6 days a week with but tub after. Do lots is stretching in the hot tub. With your doctor's permission you can also put your scar right on front of the jet. It helps break down scar tissue. Happy healing. The pool and hot tub were a game changer for me. It has helped my ROM and flexibility. All the best!

• Posted

Hi, so doesn't make you swell more?  I'm nervous.  You have to b so careful!  I was trimming my nails the other nite, I have good bend, but after,  I feel like I pinched a nerve, it's so tight around My knee now :-(

another set back :-(

• Posted

This is just my opinion.

after tkr you will be run down for sone time, and maybe prone to infection.

my GP advised me do not use a hot tub unless it's yours fir the same reasons as above.

Just saying

• Posted

I couldn't go to the pool until 6 weeks after the last knee replacement. I use the pool and hot tub 6 days a week. I do ice when I get home. My therapist and surgeon said to go for it. Wishing you a speedy recovery-- it takes patience.

• Posted

I was told after surgery no Hot Tub because of infections risk. I would call your surgeon and ask his thoughts on it.. Good Luck
  • Posted

Jeanette, I am 5 wk post TOR and was told absolutely not without M.D. approva. Still too much healing of tendons and muscles to hear it up.
  • Posted

Hot tub?  Noooooo.  Therapy pool? Yesssssssss!!!  Then again, your doc may not recommend full immersion for "X" weeks.  Mine was 6-8 so I missed out on the pool during PT.  It's a GREAT place to work on your exercises; worked wonders for my hip replacement.

Ask your doc for clearance and then find a therapy pool.  Remember...we ICE the knee; we don't heat it up!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.