Hot weather and flare

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone else dread a hot spell of weather because their stomach reacts. It seems odd but my crohns is definitely worse when it's hot, I have no idea why, I don't change my diet or anything. I also suffer if I have had a bad nights sleep (even in the winter) again why ? Anyone else have this problem ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have crohns flare up and yes the weather does affect it.  I'm on Azathioprine 50mg, what ones are you on?
    • Posted

I had a bowel resection 5 years ago due to strictures so only use steroids when I flare which isn't too often. Before that I was on long term steroids, methotrexate and Infliximab infusions which failed. Doing quite well at the moment except the hot weather like today gives me cramps and I don't go far from the loo. Got a gastro check up tomorrow so will ask why this happens.
    • Posted

Hi stephaney saw gastro today all ok but he gave me a lovely gift of moviprep for my colonoscopy ! Just got to wait for the appointment to come through - deep joy ! Didn't ask about the hot weather making crohns worse as I could hardly understand him, he was nice enough and I'm sure he know his job he just had such a heavy accent if I had asked I wouldn't have understood the answer !
  • Posted

dear nannylin

Only a shot in the dark but could it be a little bit of dehydration? I'm trying to up my fluids by a third on hot days as I find it can quickly become constipated and crampy when getting warmer at non air con office and on and off of trains...worth a try?

• Posted

Thanks for the reply but constipation has never been an issue for me it's always the opposite ! I do drink more when it's hot but I don't feel like it's the fluid causing the difference.
  • Posted

I am on Azithriopine and the weather definitely affects my condition

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.