How accurate is 3T MRI

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Guys, Last time I wrote here a few weeks back a lot of people were kind enough to reply, hoping for some more informsation from people with this experience.....

Briefly: 58 Years old, been referred by GP and  having tests at hospital for a sudden rise in PSA from regular 3.1 to 7.5 after a 14 month gap between tests.....Whilst waiting for hospital to get in touch went to a private clinic for a new PSA test with "Free PSA".....Test came back at 4.3 PSA and a free PSA of 23%.....Also had a consultation with private consultant from the clinic who is a well known prof of urology ....40 minute consultation and DRE and he tells me "No Cancer".....

Since then I have been called to hospital, had a cystoscopy (Tests clear)...a CT Urogram and a 3T MRI....They wanted to give me a biopsy, but in light of the lowered test result and the "diagnosis" from the prof I asked my hospital consultant (via his secretary as I have yet to meet him) if I could swerve the biopsy and see what the MRI threw up...He agreed. ....Hospital appointment yesterday to discuss results with urology dept. Doctor called me in, never introduced himself, was a bit stand offish, not unpleasant but very business like, asks why I did not have the biopsy? (he isn't the consultant obviously) I explain my reason and he asks to see the lowered test results, I show him. He explains that the MRI is showing "something" and it is small. I ask him if it is confined to the gland (it is) ....But they need to do a biopsy to see what it is. I say that I thought that a 3T MRI could tell the difference between something nasty, something benign or inflammation....He says that this is not the case, his words were something like: "PSA means nothing, Free PSA means nothing, Scan means nothing only a biopsy can see what this is"

He did say that if I wasn't worried I could leave it until the next PSA reading to see what has happened, but I don't have that kind of personality.

I now feel like I have shot myself in the foot as I have now booked a biopsy for 2 weeks time and the results 2 weeks after that, so instead of finding out yesterday I now have another 4 weeks to sweat before I get a (maybe) definitive answer.......Basically my question is this: Has anybody had the experience where an MRI scan has shown something up which eventually turned out to be nothing to worry about.....I'm talking up to date equipment here guys....

Will post this in Prostate cancer page as well

Thanks in advance

Tony

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am puzzled by the testing as well. I am 70 years old, and in perfect health as far as I can be! I take no medications at all, but am borderline Type-2 diabetic, so I work on diet and exercise a lot. I had a digital rectal exam a month or so ago, and the urologist felt a small node near the seminal canal. I have had no prostate issues or symptoms. He stated that was an unusual place for a node but most likely not cancerous there. I had also had a more in-depth PSA test, I think called a PHI, which came back with a very low risk of cancer, PSA specific antigen was 1.043, and Free antigen was 0.27. PHI was 26.2. So the urologist said three options: Do nothing for 6 months, do a biopsy, or a 3t MRI. We did the MRI. Results came back: PI-RADS Cat 5-Clinically significant cancer is highly likely. Now I wait two weeks to see the uro to discuss! Seems odd to me that the two test are so far apart?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.