How Accurate is a CCTA?

Posted , 2 users are following.

how accurate is a CCTA in ruling out CAD?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My husband's heart surgeon said that he preferred the more invasive angiogram but admitted that a CT scan (eg CCTA) is almost as accurate. I think cost comes into it within the NHS. Both are considered to be between 80 - 95% accurate. CCTA is less invasive as it uses an injection of iodine contrast material rather than the insertion of a catheter.

• Posted

I had one. I'm worried that something was missed.

• Posted

Depends I guess on why you think something was missed. Did your consultant not show you the results on screen. Ours did - he pointed out the blockages as we watched but we could also see those arteries functioning properly too. An angiogram or CT angio is probably the best test for arterial blockage. No test or procedure is ever 100% accurate but I think around the 90% mark is pretty good and reliable. I think you need to discuss your fears with your doctor.

• Posted

I called for an appointment, but he's booked until January. Did you get a CT angiogram?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.