How active can I be 1 week after bypass?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I'm booked in for a bypass on 24th April. I know the op/experience can be different for everyone but am wondering what people felt like after 'hell week'?

Can you walk about ok? We're you able to bend and stretch? Did you have enough energy to have a day out? It's my Birthday on 4th May you see and I want to know if I'll be up to having a bit of fresh air.

Thanks x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Morning

I had a band to bypass revision last wednesday 15th April. I had 3 days of pain, dizzyness, fatigue, but yesterday & today feel full of beans. I spent about 4 hours out yesterday working with my horses (not riding) & felt tired when I got home, but not at all uncomfortable.

I can bend with caution. Try to support your wounds when coughing, sneezing, stretching & when you sleep, if you want to roll over put a pillow along your tummy to support yourself.

I am happy to buddy you all the way.....If you have any questions I will try & help, just holler xx

• Posted

That's great news! Thanks so much for replying. Yes I'd love to buddy 😄
    • Posted

How you getting on? A week post - op you must be buzzing...right?
  • Posted

hello.I'm 4 days post op and I have had no pain or wind at all. I am up and about and I am returning to work tomorrow. (office job). 2 days post op I was in Leeds city centre. other than the very small incisions and my loss of appetite I don't feel any different to before the op. Its early days yet but so far I've been fine. Hope this helps
    • Posted

Debbie that's fantastic! Thanks so much for replying.

I go into hospital today at 2pm and my op is tomorrow. I'm excited/nervous but it's hell week I'm worried about. Fingers firmly crossed I get on half as well as you x

• Posted

I will keep my fingers crossed you are the same. I was exactly the same as you prior to Sunday and I know everyone is different but I've been fine. I've just been to tescos shopping so I'm driving as well. No issues at all. Try not to worry and just stay positive. Fingers crossed it all goes ok & I'll be thinking of you. Let me know how you go on. Whereabouts are you going? I went in at 1pm on Sunday and had my op at 4pm so not much hanging around for me x
    • Posted

Blimey! You're a model case by the sounds of it! I'm in hospital now. 'Checked-in' at 2pm - Sunderland Royal and Op's at 10.30am tomorrow. They're doing my bloods tonight which I hate but apart from that I'm ok, so far haha!
    • Posted

I hate needles. Can't stand to even look at em so I know what you mean. Least You are there now and the wait is almost over. I was in theatre longer cos they discovered I had an hiatus hernia so had to repair that too. I think usually it's about an half hr operation. I was groggy for 10 hrs post op and then they brought me a yogurt & fruit juice and I was scared to eat thinking it would be "different" but it's been fine so far. I'm on liquids/yogurt only for 2 weeks so I'm getting a little stalled but no choice really. Good luck & keep in touch xx
    • Posted

Hi. I'm just wondering how your op went and if you're doing ok x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.