How am I looking?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone. 

So I have been living with Graves (well since I have been diagnosed) since November. I'm a 42-year-old female who would possibly (if it happens it happens) like to have a baby. My main ask is about my Graves and not the baby stuff. 

My results so far...

TSH - <0.01

FT3 - 9.9

FT4 - 34.7

TSH - <0.01

FT3 - 13.7

FT4 - 54.7

TSH - < 0.01

FT3 - 5.9

FT4 - 26.0

TSH - <0.01

FT3 - 4.3

FT4 - 18.7

TSH - < 0.01

FT3 - 4.4

FT4 - 16.3

TSH - <0.06

FT3 - 3.6

FT4 - 12.4 

Recommended Range Given

TSH - 0.16 - 4.25

FT3 -  3.6 - 6.4 

FT4 - 12.3 - 20.2

I was given Neo Mercazole on the 19.12.17.

In the first month, I was on 6 tablets (30mg) daily

The next month it was 20mg

Then 15mg

Then I think it was 15mg again (not 100%)

As my TSH was not moving he put me on

25mg 1 week 

20mg 1 week 

15mg for 2 weeks

You can see my TSH has now moved but he is aware I'm balancing on being hypo. I am now on 10mg daily. 

Prior to diagnosis, I had slight hair thinning and was very emotional and anxious. So far they were the only symptoms I displayed. Since taking medication the anxiety and emotional rollercoaster has gone and my hair is thickening again. He regularly checks my white cells and all is good. I am vegan so he also does other blood checks to make sure I'm not low on anything. So far, so good. 

How am I looking? He seems happy with how things are going. I see him in 4 weeks now instead of the usual 3 weeks. 

Any recommendations for supplements? 

Thank you in advance x 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If the cause of your hypertension is Graves disease only, your pattern is very common.  My TSH did not move for two years while my Free T3 and Free T4 immediately fell to the middle of the range and stayed there while my initial and continuing dosage was 10 mg of Methimazole.  I was concerned about my TSH not rising and did more research.  I found an article in an Endocrine Medical Journal about a study that was done in Italy that showed that hypertensive patients benefited from adding Regular L-Carnitine to their treatment and I tried that.  Before I tried it, I got tested for my Carnitine levels (Total Carnitine and Free Carnitine) and I was deficient.  I was also tested and found to be deficient in Vitamin D (vitamin D is essential for good thyroid functioning) and I was low on Magnesium so I added all of those supplements and my TSH began to rise.  I then experimented with different carnitines and added Acetyl L-carnitine and my TSH just shot right up.  While this is a very useful supplement for this purpose, it also carries risks because with the use of this combined with meds, it causes you to go very hypo very fast so you need a lot more monitoring blood tests and a lot of adjustments to both drug dose and supplement dose if you want to avoid going hypo.  My Frees fell to bottom of range and stayed there, never went out of range altogether but it sure was a fine balancing act.  I let my doc adjust my meds dose and I adjusted the supplements.  He decreased by small amounts and that worked well for me.  While it is a balancing act, I feel fine from my hyper perspective and have been able to keep all my levels in range though it still requires monitoring about every 6 weeks.  If pregnancy is desired and you are trying to achieve this, then the only medication that won't cause problems for the fetus is an alternate drug called Propylthiouracil or PPU for short is usually used.

• Posted

Thanks, Linda for taking the time to write, it helps a lot. Have a lovely evening =)
    • Posted

I meant to say "If the cause of your hyperthyroidism, not the cause of your hypertension". Apologies for that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.