How and when to take meds

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have fortunately found a doctor to switch me to Armour thyroid meds. I do feel better.  But I saw an article that said many doctors don't understand how we should take the meds. 

Before the Levo was taken in morning 1 hour before eating. 

But this article said split it up, 1 in morning, 1 in evening with food.

nowhere else does it say take with food.  And it said to chew it???

what have you been told? 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was told to take my Levi 1 hour before eating or 2 hours after eating.
  • Posted

I was told to take my Levo 1 hour before eating or 2 hours after eating.
  • Posted

I meant how/when to take Armour.
  • Posted

Dessicated is taken as instructed for Levo/Synthroid.  Plus take your supplements 4 hour apart.  Do not drink coffee within one hour of medicine. You can split the dose if your body feels better doing that. It may or may not be a pick me up in the afternoon. I never felt that way....
    • Posted

Thank you Terry, I didn't really know about the no supplements 4 hours later, that makes it tough. I now must take calcium split up too. 

Gosh it's hard to schedule all this. 

Early morning, after breakfast, 4 hours after thyroid, then dinner meds, then before bed meds.  Geez wink I used to never have to take anything.

oh, and remembering my refrigerated supplements so take too. Ha.

have you heard about taking Armour with food? My other drug (prednisone) is a must with food, it screwed up my stomach, but I'm healing now thank goddness. 

• Posted

I've always been told by many doctors that food and especially coffee interferes with the absorption of thyroid medication. I usually get up early am to go to the bathroom so that's when I take mine.

• Posted

I take mine in the morning 1/2 hr before eating.

Many doctors dont believe in the armour thyroid.  I've heard it's because it's harder to be consistent with dosage in the natural form  I don't know or care so long as I can keep taking it because it helps me.  

I'm glad you found someone to prescribe it for you and that you're feeling better.

• Posted

Hi Layne, I never heard of chewing your thyroid meds or any other meds unless theyre chewable vitamins. I don't know your entire story regarding your health history, but If I were you, I will consult your doctor immediately regarding chewing and splitting up your meds. You can't play a hide & seek game with thyroid meds. 

It is true that you should not drink or eat anything before (1) hour before administering the meds and you should take vitamin supplements (4) hours after administering the meds. Please follow the directions of your doctor before trying new methods for it can be very detrimental to your health.  Hope that helps. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you to you all. Didn't know coffee might stop absorption, I don't drink much but will go back to taking thyroid meds earlier before brkfst.

so hard now dealing with meds, some take with foods, some not with supplements, especially learning about calcium now that I'm diagnosed with osteoporosis...thank you Levothyroxine and prednisone. 

The joys of getting older, much wiser now, but wish we could teach young ones to listen to us wise owls. wink 

• Posted

28 July 2016. Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? Also ferritin needs to be 70+ to process/absorb thyroid meds. Also check B12.

My understanding is that the reason NDT is taken in a split dose is that it contains T3 which lasts for 6-8 hours. So you can give yourself another kickstart by taking part of the dose in the afternoon. I take my bovine OTC NDT 1 hour before breakfast and another dose 6-8 hours later, depending in what I'm doing that night. Scheduling the 2nd half of the dose is tricky - I completely emphasize with your thoughts!

With some of the NDTs the advice is to take it sublingually (melt under the tongue), from what I've read this is to break down the cellulose filler. My thyroid meds do not have fillers and come in a capsule of 150mg or 300mg (yes, it is mg, not mcg), and if one needs a different dose, one is advised to pull the tablet apart and tip into one's mouth (easier than it sounds). I am currently taking 450mg, and take 300mg in the morning an hour before breakfast, eat at 12:00 then 150mg around 2-3pm. I take my multivitamin 4 hours after my afternoon thyroid meds (or whenever I remember after that). Hopefully this has given you some ideas.

Look up tpauk site 'dosing with NDT'.

Best wishes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.