How angina affects quality of life

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a second year medical student who is writing an essay on the impact that angina has on patient's quality of life. The individual that I am basing this study on said that 'Angina has had the biggest impact on my life. I can no longer go for long walks which I used to love and I do not feel confident driving long distances. I feel exhausted and frustrated when I can't do all the things which I used to...'

Has angina affected anyone elses quality of life in this way?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there amy. I have a friend who is currently suffering from angina, though their experiences differ with the case you have described. My friend was diagnosed with angina 4 years ago and says that it has not affected her quality of life. She can walk, swim and carry on going to the gym. Hope that helps Amy!!

Good luck with your essay, you are doing a very noble thing.

• Posted

george trent   hi I have angina and have noticed that it seems to become more severe when I have eaten  bread and biscuits or any wheat products I just wonder if others have experienced this
  • Posted

Hello.

I am 60 years old and was diagnosed two years ago. I have kept fit all my life practsing martial arts and various outdoor pursuits. When I was first diagnosed I had already had a bit of a knock back when my type 2 diabetes had degenerated very quickly and I went onto insulin. Just as I was trying to get fit again after a few months of being too tired I was then having trouble with chest pain. Various problems were suspected such as asthma but it was my Diabetic Consultant not my GP who suggested it may be Angina. After an Angio gramme it was confirmed and I was put on beta blockers to reduce the adrenalin. I gradually improved my fitness after that by Tai Chi, walking and then power walking using Darf Vader breathing techniques and now two years later do at least two  one hour sessions of high cardio exercise a week (MMA Fighting Fit). I do sometimes get angina pain if I exercise suddenly or run up flights of stairs after eating  but generally I have managed to get fit by keeping my heart rate below 120BPM when exercising.

I hope that is of interest. By the way. My Mum was diagnosed with  angina at my age and was dancing until she died at 84. 

• Posted

Hi There,

I have been told I suffer Prinzmetal Agina and this has impacted greatly on my life, I have had 2 mild AMI's according to emergency doctors, I have had 2 suspected 2 TIA's but the TIA's were 12 months after my first AMI, when I had my first AMI I was to frightened to drive distances by myself, I get a bit wary of walking any great distances but  do still walk as we know it's all good for us "supposedely" smile

I have been told by Cardiac RE-hab that all these feelings are normal after a heart attack and should dis-appear over time, my exhaustive feelings took around  4 weeks to dis-appear, The driving situation is still with me I haven't been able to break that cycle but I am still working on that....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.