How are all of you post ankle fracture?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I broke my ankle Sept. 25. Had a plate and 3 screws installed Oct. 8th. I'm looking forward to a lace up boot and starting to bear some weight this Thursday. I thought it would never come. I feel like I get "a little better" everyday. At night my ankle is mildly swollen and I have lots of weird pains and sensations. My ankle is stiff. My foot turns purple while it is hanging down. I think this will go away once I can bear weight. This has been the hardest thing I've ever done. It has been hard on my husband as well and it adds to my guilt he has to do so much. I must be getting better because the lack of housekeeping at my house is starting to bug me. I'm wishing everyone a speedy recovery and lots of patience. I'd love to hear your stories and how you are doing.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had pilon fracture distal tibia    3 months of no walking on it after surgery. 2 plates, 9 screws.   Still have swelling, plate pinches sometimes but nothing horrible.  It took about 6-8mo to walk and forget that my ankle had been broken.  
    • Posted

Natava,

How long has it been? That sound like a bad break and a long recovery. It's amazing how tough these ankle fractures are. I'm at 9 weeks and I'm in the boot. I have so many odd pains and lots of stiffness. I'm doing a few things for myself, which has been good for my mental status. I washed and changed my own sheets. I have been so tired through out. It snowed 16 inches last night. I realized that boot is super slippery when wet in the snow. I was wearing a clog on the good foot (recommended by doctor) and I slipped and almost went down. I hope you are doing well now.

• Posted

My break was longitudinal, slightly comminuted and went all the way through the joint surface so it was a good one. Might be because I drove myself to the clinic. On my broken ankle. I hit the gas made a zombie noise and used cruise control. Dropped two kids at school and went to the clinic. They didn't let me drive after that. It will be 2 hrs on March 13.
    • Posted

Oh and aside from swelling doing very well. Thank you! 16 inches in one night! I'm from Michigan and we don't get that! I never walked in the boot but in it for three months. Then a strong brace.

I also put a dryer sheet in my boot to keep it Downey fresh.

• Posted

You never had a cast? You went straight into a boot? I saw the picture of your ankle. It does look swollen. What does your doctor say about the swelling? I can't believe you drove after you broke it. Mine looked like I had a softball on it. I hope to throw that boot away in 2 weeks. I've been walking around the house with crutches or a walker putting some weight on it. The doctor said to leave the boot on, but why would I start listening to him now. I cut my cast off after 4 days. 
    • Posted

I have not seen the doctor for awhile. Yea I never had a cast. He said the plates are holding everything together so I didn't need it.
    • Posted

But the boot protected my ankle so he had me in it.
  • Posted

Hi I broke my foot in 3 places and a joint, I have 3 plates and 15 screws. Would like to know how others recovery is going and how long until you feel normal again
    • Posted

I have two plates and 9 screws. Pilon fracture through the joint surface. About 3 years ago. I can do most things without a bunch of pain but doesn't feel normal. Lots of swelling still.

• Posted

Wow even after 3 years? I just had surgery November 2 and I'm in a boot right now. My foot is stiff and hoping it will go back to normal. I really hope your foot will be as good as new. thank you for responding to me, I'm really interested in hearing other people's stories

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.