How are the other recent post ops getting on?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm just over a month post op. Knee a bit clunky at times! Doing 40 mins exercises twice a day and walking ( inside) and doing stairs....normal holding on way up, one at a time way down..had to cancel physio this week due to horrendous weather but was less that 2% off straight, bend 86% last time ! I'm just wondering is this sounding like I am where I should be at this stage???? I know we are all different but.....also I was wondering how the others who had their ops near me ( 30th Jan) are doing?? Back to consultant in 10 days..oh and wound is almost healed bar one small section at the top that still needs a dressing....I'm down to lighter pain meds mostly....still have some nausea...does all this sound somewhat normal!!

Thanks

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds great. I managed just one lot of exercises which took about an hour a day at your stage, and just dotted in a few more across the day integrated with other activity. Don't worry!

yes, lighter pain meds sounds good.

If in UK, as long as you are gradually progressing they seem pretty chilled about numbers.

My bend increased most around ten to twelve weeks post op.

One year post op now! Fantastic, so worth all the effort!

• Posted

Hi Linda I am 3 weeks 2 days, struggling with bending physio managed to get 70 yesterday but it was really painful I cannot take the pain med they all upset my stomach which is a problem for me but I ice regularly I am having problems with a hiatus hernia because of all the med, I think you sound as tho you are working hard and are doing very well at 4 weeks, done this before so I know it's not easy

• Posted

I had partial knee replacement on 31st Jan! You are doing great. I'm at 93 degrees bend but at -10 extension. Really struggling to get the leg straight. Like you not had physio this week. Go again on Tuesday.

I have a lot of hip and groin pain on same side. Bit worried as I know I have osteoarthritis in that hip. Had to increase painkillers meds. Was down to just taking at night but need in day also now.

I'm uncertain whether I'll be able to get back to work at the 6 week stage. Which is only 11 days away. Will talk to the physio.

You are doing really well. Well done!! X

• Posted

Hi Linda! I had a lot a nausea after surgery for a week. My appetite gradually got back to normal. The first month was the worst for me because of pain. It really hurt be in a sitting position, so I always had to have my legs elevated. It also took about a month for me to do leg lifts without pain in my thigh. The pain and stiffness decreased after two months. I had home therapy for only two weeks, and I continued to do exercises twice a day. My range of motion was 90. My range of motion improved when I started going to outpatient therapy. Now, my bend is 125 to 128. My knee pain is better, except that I have muscle pain in my thigh. My doctor said that the muscle pain will get better in six months. The muscle pain only hurts when I do sit to stand exercises. I still have a problem going up and down stairs the normal way. I was told that the stairs is the last thing to improve.
  • Posted

Sounds pretty good for one month.  I started at -14 / +84 and ended up with a Pst-PT ROM of -1 / +123 at 12 weeks. post-op.  However...

Any comparison of numbers is irrelevant.  In TKRville, we never compare our individual recoveries to those of anyone else (since we are all different) and the words "should" and "normal" are banned from the lexicon.  There is no "should"...there is only you.  Ditch all your make believe timelines...only get your head in trouble.  This is the most Zen of all surgeries: "The knee will be healed when it's healed."  Period.  It cannot be rushed or pushed.  Time, work and patience...you're just along for the ride... 

• Posted

I think you are doing great!  I am 6 weeks and 3 days -2/100 from a RTKR  Can't do the stairs the normal way but I think most of that is just psychological.  I have been doing 20 minutes on my stationary bike but only once a day.  I still have lots of swelling and my wound is not healed at all.  Thank goodness I found this site because I was starting to get very depressed but as Chico Marx said in one of his post (and is now my new mantra) I will get there when I get there.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.