How are you all?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. I've only been a member of the group about a week. But after hearing that advert on tv/radio encouraging people to contact those who have depression. I thought I would just ask how every one is doing this week? I personally am not too bad. not 'happy' but I guess I never have been truely, but not as bad as I can be. It feels later in the week than monday and I've been fearing the worst all day when there isn't really anything to be scared of.

If there is anything that anyone wants to talk about anything in general and pass a few minutes then I'm here. I had someone responding to me last week which made me feel a bit better. We're all in the same boat afterall and who understands us better than another one of us?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What a thoughtful note, Tony!

Thank you.

(I''m feeling exhausted, thanks to the long, stressful week I just survived -- with hel

from my lovely bride.

(But as I learned to say when I was much younger, 'this, too, shall pass'.)

• Posted

I'm new to this too - joined last night when I couldn't sleep. I have to say that being able to speak honestly and openly to people who understand feels amazing, no exaggeration. I go through my life trying to avoid having to explain or say I'm fine because I can't bear the looks of pity and lack of understanding. I'm in a low but I do think things are improving & hearing from other people like yourself really does help and mean so much. Stay strong everyone and take care x
  • Posted

I think one of the hardest things is to be truthful when somone asks how I am doing. To my face at least. I automatically say I'm fine and smile so they think I'm doing well.

My wife suffered from post natal depression for quite a while after my little boy was born. Until then I dont think she understood me but now we can both be completely honest with each other because we understand eachother. Same with us in here. until somone has been through what we all have I dont think they can fully understand us.

Anyone got any plans for the week?

• Posted

We're 'programmed' to say 'fine' or something to that effect when asked how we are, or how we're doing. I think it was a NY Times article I read not long ago discussing how hard it is for Russians coming to America to deal with the 'dishonesty' of the typical answer to one of those questions. If you want to know how someone's REALLY 'doing', ask a Russian! Few of them, it seems, are often doing 'fine' -- and they're all too willing to spell out their troubles for you.
  • Posted

Hi all

Fair to middling thanks. I feel like an old timer on this forum having been contributing for 6 years. One of the best sites out there if not the best. The forum went very quiet a couple of years ago which could be a good sign in that sufferers got better.

I saw a new chiropractor this morning as have physical problems too. She said my nervous system is shot (frazzled) - i like to know what has been going on for the past 22 years but have had so many different diagnosis's over the years. I am trying unsuccessfully so far to reduce my dosage of Fluoxetine via the docs. Dropped from 40mg to 20mg in September but only lasted 5 weeks so upped myself to 30mg (on liquid so quite easy to do). Next step is to try 20mg again.

Don't really want to be on anti depressants for life but if that is what it takes to keep me sane than so be it.

Hope you are having a reasonable day. Best wishes.

• Posted

Resonable, that has to be the most honest word to describe a day. I cant remember the last truely good one but today is definately up there with the reasonable ones. Good luck with your meds Meganpooch.
  • Posted

Thanks Tony

You 'get used' to the neither up or down days. Its more like flat lining. Very hard to put into words but you are right on 1 thing- sense of humour - this horrible illness is not taking that away and without the meds in the early days i was in a far worse place. I still get side effects now but nothing compared to what i used to.

I've only ever been on Fluoxetine and GP is now good. Things can only get better although some days you will doubt this.

• Posted

1 more thing before i go. Side effect help.

1. For nausea or dodgy stomach try a ginger tea.

2. Take a supplement high in vitamin B12 - a vitamin reduced in us sufferers.

You may know this already.

• Posted

hmm, no I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.
  • Posted

Tony, Megan, and others,

I've been meaning to post this for a week or so but time hasn't allowed.

There was an article in the US (online) edition of The Guardian on 12 Feb by someone who says they spent 20 years trying to justify themselves to others before they finally came to realize, while visiting a therapist, that that's a fruitless task. Life, they said, is a moving object, in effect, since we're all constantly moving and changing, and thinking at any point in time that you have to live up to some imagined image of what you should be is self-defeating. I think is something a lot of depressed people need to come to consider.

You might want to seek out the article. It makes an interesting read.

Doug

• Posted

Hey Tony

Yeah exactly agree, feel it has really helped being on here. Started the tablets afew days ago. Getting side effects constant sickness and stomach cramps, but in general do feel better. Still have anxiety attacks but trying to be positive. Talking to everyone on here i dont feel so much alone anymore. Hope everyone is on the curing track, i know its along way off but all i can say is stay strong! :-) thank u for asking how everyone is Tony. Hope ur ok xx

• Posted

Hello there everyone

What a lovely thought.

I'm feeling a little better today and am trying to care for myself a bit better too. Went out of the house and not eaten as much rubbish.

Hope you all have a good rest tonight x

• Posted

Hi Doug

I must be weird cos i have never felt the need to justify to others re this illness. Its not something i am ashamed of. It happened, i'm on meds to see me (hopefully) to the end of the tunnel.

I will willingly educate those who do not understand - the 'pull yourself together', 'snap out of it' and 'there are people worse off than you' brigade. We didn't choose to be afflicted by this physical and mental illness and if people haven't personally experienced it, they cannot be expected to understand it.

I sometimes have to remind friends that i have depression as its an invisible illness to the outside world.

All the people on this site are at different stages of the illness and its good to feel we are not alone. Don't fight it but learn to go with the flow and take each day as it comes.

Best wishes to you all - time for bed.

MP (Geoff)

• Posted

I'm not feeling as bad as I have felt in the past, but I have been told by my doctor that I have IBS and that was like a punch in the gut, as there is no cure. I was really hoping that I would be able to find a fix for the stomach pain I've been feeling, but as it is, I can only try and manage it and lessen the problem. It's not how I wanted to start my week but I am trying to remain positive and see the silver lining. At the very least I have to be vigilant about what I eat and remaining active and that is a good thing. I'd like to encourage you guys to get anything like that checked out by the way, because people suffering from depression and anxiety often have IBS also. Stress plays a huge role, so if you've been having stomach pains and issues with going to the toilet, I really suggest seeing the doctor. I am hoping that being forced to learn how to manage my stress will also help my depression and anxiety, fingers are crossed anyway.

• Posted

Hey everyone,

It really is a nice thought, Tony. I hope everyone's getting by okay.

I've only been using this site for around a week or so as well, and to be honest it's been the worst week I've ever had (although being on here has helped a little). I'm currently changing medications, so I've been lower than I've ever been, and spent most of the weekend on the phone to the Samaritans, as well as having a hell of a lot of work to do. Now I'm just hoping to get over the side effects of the new meds and get somewhere close to back to normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.