How are you getting on?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi I thought it would be interesting to see how each of us are getting on and what stage they are at...Me I'm just past the three week mark, pain in big toe, also numb and white painful if I try to bed it. I get a lot of pain across the top of my feet, which I would be interested if anyone else has because I had this befor the operation and want to know if I have made it worse. 

My foot is still VERY swollen.. Scar is healing nicely but scab not come off yet...

What about the rest of you how are you getting on ? X

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm 8 weeks post op tomorrow. My foot is still a bit swollen but not painful. I've been fully weight bearing for 3 weeks and went back to work after 2 weeks. I've just done 2 miles on the treadmill very very slowly!! All in all the op has been pretty much painless. I've had a few funny feelings in my toe but not painfull. I do get tired more than I did before but the doctor did remind me that your body does need time to recover after bone surgery. Good luck with your recovery.

Kind regards Sue

• Posted

Sukibear are going to the Gym to use the treadmill and are you able to wear trainers yet ? Good Luck to you to, sounds like you are doing very well.. Ps I have noticed the tiredness too, in bed no later than 10.00pm and sometimes 9.00pm x
  • Posted

Hi I am 10days into my op and not doing too bad. I can move my toes. I also have pain on top of the feet which goes to the shin bone. It's less now than few days ago.

I am getting used to the walker boots but still get sharp pain in my by toe if I am not careful. I overdid it walking yesterday and I am paying for it today. So today no walker boots at all, resting with feet elevated and ice packs. It's going to be a long recovery. But hey let's be positive and think of the end , when we will have nice feet.

• Posted

8.5 weeks post op top of my foot hurts think it's because I have been walking funny and heel walking trying not to weight bare on toe ! Finally swelling starting to subside big toe still very swollen and numb but last 2 days been able to weight bare nearly in a normal fashion but felt really bruised this morning when got out of bed y big toe is just starting to flex a little my scab didn't fall off till just after 6 weeks my skin has flaked off everywhere on foot even underneath been foot soaking in Epsom salts and olive oil never had such soft feet !! Was suppose to return to work at 7 weeks but there was no way that was Going to happen ! Got another 4 weeks off so hoping I can walk normal by then !!
    • Posted

Epsom salt and olive oil, I will have to try that.. My feet would really really do with a softer bath x
    • Posted

That sounds like a good idea....if I get into a regular shoe tomorrow, I will try it on Tuesday...thanks
  • Posted

6 weeks & 3 days, seeing the consultant on Tuesday, so looking forward to getting rid of das boot!! A bit worried about how well I will be able to walk, but hopefully eventually ok. Foot still swelling up but not painful. Can't get any shoes on except crocs, went to Go Outdoors today & got a real bargain - walking trainers £10 so I got a size 6 which fits my foot & a size 5 for my other one. They're good as they are quite wide, & they are perfect until I can get normal shoes on. Good luck with continuing improvement.
    • Posted

When I went in....well it was two and a little more that I had to stay in the boot...the doctor had cut some bone off and I guess the fusion of the bone takes a longer time...but I am 74 years...
  • Posted

This chit chatting is helpful but not sure how it all works.  I go in tomorrow and hope I get the foot boot off and into shoes.....I had this toe surgery done Jan. 13th...the plate with the 4 screws...I think I can feel the plate and sure it will stay.  My foot feels fine and have had the foot boot on when I get out of bed...I never thought this would seem so long...I had two knees replaced and that was long but this is so different...really can't explain it.  One foot is enough and would not have the other done and don't think I need it....Take care all
    • Posted

Hi Fiona, I'm glad this chat is helping. I thought it might be helpful to compare notes and also see how everyone is too. I too did not realise how long this would seem.. Not helped by the fact the weight is piling on because of the inactivity and I have not been stuck to my chair totally xxx
    • Posted

Hi Sue, I have also put on weight, can't wait to get back out being active again. I intend to go swimming every day after I get the boot off on Tuesday as well as walking, just see how that goes & do a little extra every day, also,hoping I'll be able to cycle without too much of a problem. Not sure when I'll be going back to work, I'm thinking another 2 weeks but maybe not......I do some 12 hour shifts at night & weekends so don't want to go back til I'm confident I can last 12 hours on my feet!!!
    • Posted

Those extra pounds will get me going for sure.  I have a cycle and hope to get on it quickly...who would have thought
  • Posted

My biggest disappointment is my 2nd toe, it curls over.. I am really worried this will hinder getting shoes on, I can flatten it with my hands but not using my brain, and it won't stay down, it curts up again. The doctor said, it would be ok when I walk but How on earth will I get a shoe on😢
    • Posted

Maybe you should try taping it...my second toe is longer then the others but look on Amazon and maybe you can order something...
    • Posted

Thanks Sara, I might do that, bit annoying though going through all this and still having to muck about with my feet to get shoes on. confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.