How are you getting on?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi I thought it would be interesting to see how each of us are getting on and what stage they are at...Me I'm just past the three week mark, pain in big toe, also numb and white painful if I try to bed it. I get a lot of pain across the top of my feet, which I would be interested if anyone else has because I had this befor the operation and want to know if I have made it worse. 

My foot is still VERY swollen.. Scar is healing nicely but scab not come off yet...

What about the rest of you how are you getting on ? X

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi guys,

I am now at 5 weeks and 4 days! Found the op ok not too much pain. Saw my surgeon at 2 weeks had dressings off and was advised to start walking and get rid of velcro shoe. At nearly 3 weeks I was taken into hospital I had multiple blood clots in my lungs (pulmonary embolism) so spend a week in hospital which slowed down my foot recovery but the pain in my chest made me forget the pain in my foot!

Am now on warfarin and injections. I have managed to get my trainers on and managed to go for a drive! Quite sore though as had my left foot done and my car is manual!

Am seeing the surgeon this Thursday but definitely feel I need a few more were for my foot to recover! I still have a fair bit of dry skin on my foot but am moisturising twice a day.

Hope everyone else's recovery has been smoother than mine!

• Posted

Oh you poor thing how unfortunate you had a pe scary too, hopefully your back on the road to recovery as you sounded like you were doing so well, you were up and about quite quick too, every surgeon is different with their aftercare I know there's different procedures too, my surgeon had me up and about quick too no crutches just post op shoe im week 3 tomorrow but been told need shoe until week 6 sad im getting about brilliant though, sorry again about yr setback hope you continue to improve xx
    • Posted

Ditto, to everything Lyn said, I also wish you a speedy recovery and am sorry you had to go through that. I am also very much at the same stage as lyn too. 
    • Posted

Oh I am sorry to hear you have had a scare. That must have been traumatic.  Hope you are back on track now though. 

You ou are doing well to be driving a manual!  Nice to have some freedom!

Take it easy.

sue x

• Posted

How scary, poor you. Sounds like you are making rlots of progress again though, good for you, keep all crossed for you. 
  • Posted

Thank you guys, was a scary time and very exhausting my body is now healing my foot and lung! Wishing you all speedy recoveries and don't push yourselves to do anything too quickly, i'm 22 getting bored easily but an hour or so food shopping is enough for me at the moment! Xx
    • Posted

Wow you've been through a lot. I wish you a full, healthy recovery. X joan
    • Posted

Thank you Joan, I hope your recovery is speedy and please be as mobile as possible! Don't be afraid to seek medical advice if you get any new pains! X
  • Posted

Hi I'm exactly one week post-op.  Haven't had any excruciating pain at all. At night though my right foot throbs into the shin and it takes a while to calm down even after medication.  When I do walk in the boots, the tops of my feet seem to 'pull' which might be the stitches. I'm looking forward to getting bandages removed although I'm not clear if I will still have to wear these Geisha shoes after that. Seeing surgeon next week. For now i just sit or lie with feet up and try to feel upbeat about it all. Have to say thank you to all the people who wrote to encourage me to go through with surgery. Without that support I'm not sure I'd have gone through with it all. And I am now so glad I did. 
    • Posted

Hi joan pleased your doing ok I'm three weeks post op no pain other than at night more of a throbbing but not constant thankfully and that pulling sensation is going too apart from big toe which reading posts seems to be usual with most ppl, I'm still in the lovely shoe until atleast 9th April can't get any other shoe on anyway yet I'm walking quite far pain free now but still elevate leg in afternoon when home, and I still use Ice around toe area to help with swelling, I had bandages reduced 10 days after op and was told to walk in shoe foot flat to floor but you'll find all surgeons follow and give diff advice smile mine didn't give crutches just my shoe smile keep up with good recovery you'll find lots good advice on here xx
    • Posted

Hi Joan, I'm getting most of my pain in the tops of my feet, across toes.. I also got a shock yesterday when I got a sharp severe, electric shock like pain across them twice.. This was in the supermarket I guess this happens if we over do things. My foot is still very swollen so guess it might have something to do with that. 
    • Posted

Take it easy if you are still very swollen sue.  Those shorting pains are a shocker when they come over you aren't they?

take care 😊

• Posted

Gosh I should say so, they gave me a right shock.. I was quite take aback a was very glad I had the trolly to hold on too.. Poor people must have wondered why I was standing in the middle of the aisle for a few minuets not moving.. 
  • Posted

Well - I have not reached the stage of seeing the consultant yet!  As I sit here reading all your lovely messages of support I think it is great BUT I am begining to have second thoughts.

I am so pleased I found this site BEFORE I went ahead and no doubt I will keep the consultant's appointment.

Now I am really begining to think is it really worth putting myself through all this pain and discomfort?  I am 70 this year and I can still walk.  I find it so hard to get shoes on, I get 'nerve'? pain in the end of one toes, all my toes on my left foot are in trouble, etc, etc.  I have put this operation on my 'bucket' list Ha! Ha!

The question keeps coming back, now I have found this site, why put myself through this? (Oh! Pain relief is an issue with me as I am allergic to morphine, etc)  All you lovely ladies have told me as it is and also what a great support there is here but .........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.