how bad is it to have an endoscopy?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been putting off my endoscopy app because I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and I'm scare of getting it done. I've had GERD for over 8 years but this year my symptoms have gotten worst. I have shortness of breath, difficulty swallowing, I have to now sleep sitting down, I get chest pain and when I eat in the afternoon I have pieces of food come back up the next morning. I'm honestly fed up with all these symptoms but I'm also terrified of getting the Endoscopy. My mom had an endoscopy years back and she said she felt they only lightly sedated her so she could not fight the procedure because she could feel everything and it was like being tortured! I was told my Dr would use propofol for the endoscopy but I will not be completely asleep.. So I'm guessing I will go thru the same thing my mom did and it makes me so anxious I can't sleep!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi, i wanted to come in here and share my experience as i trawled every forum going, regarding endoscopy as i was terrified. i had my procedure today and only had throat spray, as unfortunately i had to drive afterwards. it was surprisingly fine, a little uncomfortable but absolutely nothing i couldn't cope with. i closed my eyes the whole way through and it was over in just under 4 minutes. please don't be scared, i felt exactly how you did and I'm so glad i didn't put it off. Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.