How big will my wide excision be?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 

I just have a question about my up coming surgery and to be honest I have gotten mixed answers from my GP and a member of my surgical team. Basically I am going for the wide excision surgery in 6-8week due to my chronic PS issue. The surgeon said that this type of operation was the only option which I understand because of the extent of the issue. But he told me that a massive area of tissue (I mean Massive, 4-5inch acros/length and right down to the bone ) would need to be removed. On researching online I have noticed that there is huge variances between the amount of tissue removed. When I asked him why such a large area had to be removed he said it is fairly standard. So my question is how do they decide how much to remove?? I had a massive abscess that was drained under general anaesthetic (4weeks ago in the UK), is that why such a large area is going to be removed? Is there anything I can do or am I better off just letting the surgeon do his thing? 

History:

3years history of PS with at least 7 infections. 

Conservative treatment was unsuccessful other then getting rid of the small infections. 

26year male, very fit and active.

4 weeks I had a drainage of a abscess, was in hospital for two days due to the severity of the infection, I was operated on and it has really improved after 3 weeks of packing.

I would really appreciate any help anybody could give me as I am self employed and the sooner I can recover the better. Plus rugby season is starting and I want to get back to training. 

Thanks,

Gavin 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

They usually do it the size of your abscess and then down to your hair shaft 
    • Posted

Because the tissue is infected and if they don't get rid of it, it can become infected again 

• Posted

Also scar tissue is a good thing in these cases because it means the PS won’t be likely to come back in that area. I had a 9cm long by 3cm wide and 6cm deep wound after surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.